J1 waiver and travel

GMC92

Registered Users (C)
I am so glad to discover this forum. My dilemma is travelling to India. I just started on my j1 waiver job in rural MN. I am not able to gather courage to go to Canada/India to get visa stamped. Is it possible for people to travel to their home country on EAD and advance parole? Will that affect GC process? I have already started my LC process. Please reply!

GMC92 said:
I am so glad to discover this forum. My dilemma is travelling to India. I just started on my j1 waiver job in rural MN. I am not able to gather courage to go to Canada/India to get visa stamped. Is it possible for people to travel to their home country on EAD and advance parole? Will that affect GC process? I have already started my LC process. Please reply!

You will have to maintain H-1b status for 3 yrs of the waiver time. If you travel to India before 3 yrs on EAD/AP, re-apply for H-1b again once you come back, since the moment you enter on AP, you lose the H-1b status and will be admitted as a parolee.

I've had friends who were able to get H-1b stamp in Mexico after waiver. Good luck.

Your H1b status clock for the count of 3 years starts from the day it is stamped in your passport. You should get it stamped asap. Any days of work without the stamp are not counted towards 3 years.

i don"t believe it holds true for the 3 year waiver period, three year time for waiver starts from the the time u start working on waiver job

pras01 said:
Your H1b status clock for the count of 3 years starts from the day it is stamped in your passport. You should get it stamped asap. Any days of work without the stamp are not counted towards 3 years.
That is not true. I had changed status from J-1 to H-1b status in 1999 and never had a H-1b visa stamped.
The clock starts from the date of H-1b approval or J-1 waiver, whichever is later.