J1 Visa and I-130 Petition

marfq

Hi everyone,
I am a permanent resident in Canada and will be applying for J1 Visa from US cosulate in Toronto or Montreal. My husband filed an I-130 petition in family class two years ago and I was included as spouse. Do I have to mention it in visa form since there is a section that asks you about that?
Would it hurt my chances for a visa even though only I am applying for the visa. My husband will be staying back in Canada with my son.
Thanks.
marfq

yes, you have to disclose that I-130 has been filed on your behalf. Yes, it mostly likely will hurt your chances. Do have an explanation handy why you don't have an immigrant intent.

J1 visa & I-130 pending

I have a similar case.
My father's sister filed for my father, listing my brother & I as dependents. I applied for an received a visitor visa 2002 and a J1 visa in 2004. After my return home in 2004, my passport was stolen and when i went to apply for another visa I was denied and told I am being filed for.

According to the Visa Bulletin, the I-130 filed will become current sometime this year, but I was just offered an internship in the US. Will I be able to apply for the J1 visa now, risk being subject to the 2-yr residence requirement (25 y/o Bachelors degree)? Will I still be able to apply for the J1 visa with the I-130 pending, with such a close date?

Thanks.