J1 visa - adjust status

jmgc6

Hello, I'm an au pair and I've been in US for 1 year and 10 months. My type of visa is a J-1 and is NOT subject to the 2 years rule, I'd like to change my status but I read on a website that J-1 visas aren't elegible for this IF they are subject to the 2 years rule. Is there anything that I can do to apply for this?

On the other hand I have another situation, my boyfriend who is from here (US citizen) want us to get married, when could we do this, before or after my visa expires? Now, I also heard from a lawyer that even if you get engaged you can also stay and get married within 90 days, is that true?

(Not to mention, my boyfriend and I have been dating for 1 year and 8 months, we really love each other and he doesnt want me to leave, neither do I)

Thank you very much for your help.

>Hello, I'm an au pair and I've been in US for 1 year and 10 months. My type of visa is a J-1 and is NOT subject to the 2 years rule, I'd like to change my status but I read on a website that J-1 visas aren't elegible for this IF they are subject to the 2 years rule. Is there anything that I can do to apply for this?

You said that your J1 visa is not subject to the 2 years home residence requirement. So, your J1 visa will not prevent you from getting GC.

>On the other hand I have another situation, my boyfriend who is from here (US citizen) want us to get married, when could we do this, before or after my visa expires?

Before your visa expires. It is better for you two get married and apply for Adjustment of status (GC) before your current visa expires.

Time line is like this.
Marriage->Adjustment of Status Application->expirarion date of your visa

The book below was helpful to learn marriage-based Adjustment of Status.
http://www.amazon.com/Fiance-Marriage-Visas-Couples-Immigration/dp/1413305660

Congratulation!

Thank you very much. Now, in the case that, like you said, my J1 visa will not prevent me from getting GC, what can I do or apply for it?
Again, thanks for your help.