J1 Visa-30 days to leave after visa expiry date?

nikhiln

I have recently come to the USA from India on a J1 Visa (on summer exchange program). The Visa expiration date stamped on his passport is 29th Sept 2007. Does it mean I have to leave the same day? I was told that I have 30 days after 29th Sept to make my travel plans & leave the country. Can you please confirm if this information is correct? My I-94 just says D/S near the 'Until date'.

Thanks,

Nikhil

yes

That is correct. You have 30 days to either leave the US or extend the J-1.

Check with your "International Center" if you are affiliated with a university. Or better still check with Department of State.

Thanks for your prompt reply! I am not affiliated to the University. I am in Florida--do I need to call the Dept of State in Florida? I am new to this country...

Thanks,

Nikhil

That is correct. You have 30 days to either leave the US or extend the J-1.

Check with your "International Center" if you are affiliated with a university. Or better still check with Department of State.

30-day period is just to make travel plans to leave this country NOT definitely to extend J-1 program. This is from my personal expereince and had to leave US a year ago.. if u want extend J-1 program do it well before ur date of expiration

Thanks Lakksh,

I mainly wanted to confirm the 30 day grace period to make travel plans especially since the I-94 did not mention anything.

Thanks,

Nikhil