J1 two yr rule wavier and Fulbright

MarianneL

I have applied for a waiver for the J1 2 yr rule. I see that my status recently changed to "requested sponsor view". Does that mean that DoS sent this request to Fulbright, or to my home embassy (which already sent a letter for no objection)? Any experiences with Fulbright and two year rule waiver? Replies highly appreciated!

There was a thread a few years ago, where a couple of Fulbrightees reported success in their waiver applications. Yet cases with U.S. government funding, and especially Fulbright, are extremely difficult to win. An interested federal government agency has the best chances for a waiver.

The chances are so slim, and the process is nerve-racking, so I (a Fulbright alum) decided to return to my country and do the 2 years there. The 2 years do not have to be done consecutively, though.

There was a thread a few years ago, where a couple of Fulbrightees reported success in their waiver applications. Yet cases with U.S. government funding, and especially Fulbright, are extremely difficult to win. An interested federal government agency has the best chances for a waiver.

The chances are so slim, and the process is nerve-racking, so I (a Fulbright alum) decided to return to my country and do the 2 years there. The 2 years do not have to be done consecutively, though.

I recently received my application back declined. So I am heading back to my home country in January. Does anyone know if I have to spend the two years in one sitting, or is it the combined # of days spent in my home country since I finished my Fulbright and J1 VISA?

You don't have to spend the two years in one consecutive stay (as I wrote you above). However, until you do not complete 730 days of physical residence in your home country, you are not eligible to receive H, L, or immigration visas.