J1 to H1B

bravo74

Registered Users (C)
I have applied for a J1 waiver and received favorable recommendation from the DOS on 2/12/07. I am still waiting for the waiver letter from the USCIS.
Can I apply for h1b based on the DOS approval letter only? Is there any way to check the status of my waiver with the USCIS similar to the DOS weblink status check ?

Thanks

I have applied for a J1 waiver and received favorable recommendation from the DOS on 2/12/07. I am still waiting for the waiver letter from the USCIS.
Can I apply for h1b based on the DOS approval letter only? Is there any way to check the status of my waiver with the USCIS similar to the DOS weblink status check ?

Thanks

Me again. Yes you can apply and request from the USCIS to consider your pending waiver and H petition together. In most cases they will approve the H with the waiver at the same time. To the best of my knowledge, the H will not be issued before the waiver. Search for other threads in this forum regarding this issue.

Call USCIS customer service. They should be able to find your receipt number based on your name and address. With the receipt number you can check the status of the case.

Thanks