J1 to F1, married to future LPR

HI,

I am currently on J1 visa (with two year residency requirement). I was not aware of the 2 yr requirement part and came to know about it only recently. My spouse is going to apply to LPR next month and we got married last month so that we could adjust status together. I just realized that given the two year residency requirement, I will not be eligible to adjust my status. I had a few questions: 1. I wanted to transition from J1 to F1 in August. Does being married to a LPR affect my ability to get F1 in the future? 2. If I apply to F1 visa in the US consulate and if my F1 visa gets rejected, does my J1 visa get rejected automatically as well?

In addition, If I apply to F1 visa in the US consulate and if my F1 visa gets rejected, does my J1 visa get rejected automatically as well? my J1 visa can be extended for 4 more years.

If I were to go the route of green card, does marrying a future LPR within 90-days of entry to the US affect the possibility of AOS being denied due to the “90-day rule"?

Can I attend university as a student while i485 is pending? Or do I have to continue to maintian J1 visa and be an exchange student?

Last edited: