J1 Research to J1 clinical

smle333

Registered Users (C)
:confused:

Hi I filed the application to ecfmg and they filed a DOS petition on nov 30 and when asked for updates they say still no response,
Do they have to answer yes or no with in 60 days?
They did not give me any file number or recpt number and somebody tell me how to check my status???
I went to USCIS website and checked now that they are working on dec16h applications, which means i should have the response by now.
MY QUESTION IS " IS DOS Petioning goes to somewhere else than USCIS""?
If so how should i chek the status of my applic.
if not in USCIS under which service center i shud chek..i cheked in vermont center as i thought its close to ecfmg..(phily)
Please somebody help me..
your help is really appreiciated\

smile

I don't think that USCIS is involved in this process at all. It is between the ECFMG and the department of state.

Then How shud i chek status with dept of state website

Can u tell me then what is the role of uscis in this and how shud i chek this in DOS website (pls tell whats their website to chek these)
thanks
really appreciated
smile

As I said, I don't THINK that USCIS is involved in this AT ALL. I believe it is the 'waiver review division' of DOS (the old US Information Agency) that gets the petition for a status change from ECFMG. So, first I would talk to the folks at ECFMG, then I would contact the requisite office at DOS. Don't waste your time finding the case in the CIS system if it is not there !

Thanks, but I got no reply from Ecfmg, can u tell me how to contact DOS??!!

:confused:

Dear Hadron,

Thanks for the info, I did try to contact ecfmg case manager but in vain. she does not respond my email nor my calls,
IS there any way to reach DOS and ask them whats going on??
If so can u help me with the contact number or contact details..
Ur help is much appreciated.
Thanks
Smle

Talk to the DIO (designated institutional official) at your residency program. ECFMG might not talk to you directly, they will usually talk to the DIO.

I don't know what office at DOS is handling these cases. Your congressmans case work office might be able to guide you through this buerocratic maze.

Thanks again, I tried contacting thru the sponsoring institution too, they also got..

:( The institutional sponsoror also tried to get details from ecfmg and they also didnot get any reply regarding this.
Can u give more insight regarding the congress man office etc,,
I am new to this ...How shud i approach them.? shud the contact the congress man of the institutional state or in my state and city where i live?
Thanks for ur time ..and advice.
smile

As you probably know, every state is represented by a number of members in the house of representatives and two senators. If you go to

www.house.gov

you can look up the congressman/woman in whoose district you live. At

www.senate.gov

you can look up who your senator is.

Most congressmen and senators have a local office doing 'case work'. They are helping constituents who have problem with federal authorities. Now, as you can't vote, you are technically not interesting for them. Most however try to be nice folks and have their casework staff help people who are dealing with CIS or DOS.

Once you know who your congressman is, look on his/her website under 'issues' and 'press releases' and 'sponsored bills'. You want to be sure that your representative is not a cosponsor of the 'kick all immigrants into the sea act of 2005' or the 'Do away with the H1b and L1 visa act of 2004.

Somewhere on their website it tells you how to contact their casework office. Usually you will have to send them a signed declaration that they are authorized to ask questions on your behalf.

Any federal office receiving money appropriated by congress HAS to answer to inquiries by members of congress. Usually their answers are meaningless. Something like: The service has replied that they will get around to your case eventually and that if you haven't heard from them after 60-999 days you should initiate another inquiry.

Now, as to the success of congressmans or senators intervention, opinions are split. Some people swear that the congressmans call managed to dislodge a case that has been stuck. Others are of the opinion that the congressional intervention has the opposite effect.

That was of great help and insight

Dear Hadron,

You are amazing and thanks for your help,.
I will go thru the website analyze abt my congressman and do the need ful;
hoping something would help me out

Thanks again, god bless u
smle :eek:

Hi hadron/smle3,
I will start to apply for the status change from J1 research (neuroophthalmology) to J1 clinical (neurology) for a residency in neurology to start July 2005. I have already obtained the no objection certificate from the home country. Other than this what are the requirements to apply for the change in the category. I contacted the ECFMG for Information and as usual they have not bothered to reply for the past 1 month. I would really appreciate any help from you in this regard.
I hope you (smle3) were successful in your application.

Last edited by a moderator: