J1-H1b visa stamp

patience12

Hie, I am planning on going to Mexico (Ciudad Juarez) to get a visa stamp. I was on a J1 visa, finished my fellowship on June 30 , and had to wait for the waiver/H1B to go through and started working on Seprember 1. Does anyone out there have any recent experience in getting the visa stamp. Please help.

Take a copy of your I129 and LCA with you. Also, of course the approval notice. In addition, it has been recommended to take a letter from your employer that you continue to be employed there.

If you are not a national of the country you get your visa in, it might take a couple of days/weeks/months extra if they decide that they need to get a local background check on you. If you go to the consulate in your home country, they can just talk to their liasion with local law-enforcement to get that done. If you are in a different country, they have to cable this type of stuff back and forth. In general, I don't believe they issue the visa during the visit any more. I know in my home country they require a stamped envelope and a local mailing address.

Again, if your change of status has been approved, there is no need to go abroad for the sake of the stamp. Only if you are going abroad anyway, you need to go to the consulate in order to be eligible for re-entry.

Check Under H Visa in same forum

Please check on "H Visa Issues at the Consulates and Visa Revalidation". You will get full information.... from where to park your car to items allwed to be taken inside the consulate! Most of the posts are by non-physicians; but they are from various countries - including the ones affected by retrogression. Expierences from all the border consulates - in Mexico & Canada - are available.

Last edited by a moderator: