J1 -foreign residency

criticalcure

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I had a question about the 'foreign residence' requirement after J1 visa. Does one have to go back to the home country of origin or can one go elsewhere. For example, can I immigrate to Canada for 2 years( on Canadian Green Card) and then return?
Appreciate any help!

criticalcure said:
Hi,
I had a question about the 'foreign residence' requirement after J1 visa. Does one have to go back to the home country of origin or can one go elsewhere. For example, can I immigrate to Canada for 2 years( on Canadian Green Card) and then return?
Appreciate any help!

I donot think so
home country means: home country
hope this helps

foreign residency

I think I am in a very good position to answer it.
My AOS got denied base on the fact I did not go back to the country I stated in IAP 66 as last residence , I moved to a 3rd country which I was not a resident of during residency, even though I am a citizen of the 3rd country now, I am still stuck with HRR in the country i had stated in IAP 66.
so if you mention Canada as your last country of residence in IAP 66 u should be fine

Don't mess with that. They mean the country that sponsored your J1 and that you signed as 'country of last residence before entering the US'.

Common scenario:

--Physician from india
--residency in US with letter of need from india
--goes to canada for locums/fellowship, obtains canadian PR (fairly easy at that point)
--tries to return to US after 4-5 years on H1b or tries for GC
--Gets bitten into behind by unfulfilled foreign residency requirement

(If you read the wording of 212e, you could interpret it in a way that you can return to the US from canada 2 years after you have become a canadian citizen, that means 3 years after obtaining PR and living in Cdn. But I am not sure whether USCIS reads 212e the same way, I doubt it.)

One way of going about it is by getting canadian PR before you start residency in the US. It takes money and planning, and without the 'work experience' points it is a lot harder. But that way, you can try to get 'health canada' to sponsor your J1 and you would be able to go to cdn after a residency in the US. The bottleneck for that idea is probably 'health canada'. While I think that they have softened up on the issuance of J1 support, I don't know what their current policies are.

If you can bear to read through 32 pages of canadian buerocracy lingo, here is the policy for anyone interested:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hppb/healthcare/pdf/requirements2005.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Hadron, thank you so much for your information. You mentioned....

...One way of going about it is by getting canadian PR before you start residency in the US. It takes money and planning, and without the 'work experience' points it is a lot harder. But that way, you can try to get 'health canada' to sponsor your J1 and you would be able to go to cdn after a residency in the US. The bottleneck for that idea is probably 'health canada'. While I think that they have softened up on the issuance of J1 support, I don't know what their current policies are......

Will getting a canadian PR BEFORE starting fellowship on a new J1 work the same way?...or is there any specific reason why Canadian PR is needed before residency?( I may start fellowship on J1 tho I was on H1 for residency)

Appreciate you help greatly!!!

Sure it should work for fellowship.

You just have to be a PR of canada before you apply for a J1. You also would need to get your letter of need from health canada instead of your home country. That way, you can sit our your HRR in cdn instead of your home country (if that is of such importance to you).

But getting landed immigrant status and then getting the sponsorship from cdn will take time. You would probably have to move up there for a year or so and keep your head above water by doing locums in the bundoks.

Canadian PR vs India

I'm on H4 and ready for residency...probably on J1.

Ours is also a typical story...My husband PD is 7/2001 EB3 and i don't know how much more time would it take. We are also going into our 7th yr extension.

Recently we are approved of canadian PR and yet to land.

My question:

if i land in canada and get PR, will Canada be 'my last country of permanent residence' that i have to mention on J1 form?

or

Will i have the option to mention India as well (inspite of the fact that the (intended!) last country of PERMANENT residence was Canada)?

I'm not sure which country to fill right now and i need to plan accordingly IF I HAVE AN OPTION TO SELECT ONE COUNTRY if offered J1.

Thanks in advance for your help.