J1 extension

ViAg

Registered Users (C)
My J-1 visa waiver based on no objection statement is pending at DoS. My current 3-year J-1 period is going to expire in less than one month. Can I apply for 2-year J-1 extension under such circumstances.

Generally, you are not allowed to apply for a 2-year extension once you have initiated a waiver application. Are you in an academic position? Do you have another status lined up?

I am a postdoc at an University. My employee is sponsoring me H-1B. The problem is that my waiver application is pending at DoS for more than 5 months. they received all the documents including no objection statement for the home country 5 months ago, but have not given a decision. I faxed them couple of enquiry letters. two weeks ago, i came to know from one of the enquiry officer at DoS that my file got misplaced and now they have found it. They said that all papers are in place. But because of this holiday season, i am not sure whether i will be able to get final recomendation letter before my J-1 expires. That is why i was wondering if i could get an extension of J-1.
I am thinking of hiring a lawyer if i don't get recomendation letter two weeks before the expiry of J-1.
-ViAg

If you get the DOS recommendation, that will be enough to apply for H-1B adjustment of status. You don't need to wait for the USCIS final approval.

You say you have 1 month, does that include the 30-day grace period beyond the date on your DS-2019?

My current J-1 is expiring in 3-4 weeks and then i will another 30 day grace period. I will hopefully hire a lawyer if i do not hear from DoS in 2 weeks time from now.
-ViAg

jk0274 said:
Generally, you are not allowed to apply for a 2-year extension once you have initiated a waiver application. Are you in an academic position? Do you have another status lined up?
Thats not correct. One can apply for J1 extention untill DOS reached to a decision.

ViAg said:
I am a postdoc at an University. My employee is sponsoring me H-1B. The problem is that my waiver application is pending at DoS for more than 5 months. they received all the documents including no objection statement for the home country 5 months ago, but have not given a decision. I faxed them couple of enquiry letters. two weeks ago, i came to know from one of the enquiry officer at DoS that my file got misplaced and now they have found it. They said that all papers are in place. But because of this holiday season, i am not sure whether i will be able to get final recomendation letter before my J-1 expires. That is why i was wondering if i could get an extension of J-1.
I am thinking of hiring a lawyer if i don't get recomendation letter two weeks before the expiry of J-1.
-ViAg

I am in the same boat. My application is pending with them for more then 9months and still no decision. Can you share what fax no you use for enquiry. I have written letters to them but never got any reply and it is very hard to get anybody over the phone. As I mentioned earlier you can get J1 extention untill DOS reached to a decision.

I guess so

raonj1 said:
As I mentioned earlier you can get J1 extention untill DOS reached to a decision.

That appears to be true now. Previously, many institutions (including my own) denied 4th/5th year extensions after a waiver application was submitted. I checked, and this generally seems not to be the case anymore.

ViAg said:
My J-1 visa waiver based on no objection statement is pending at DoS. My current 3-year J-1 period is going to expire in less than one month. Can I apply for 2-year J-1 extension under such circumstances.

do you have US government funds? are they requesting sponsor views?

raonj1 said:
I am in the same boat. My application is pending with them for more then 9months and still no decision. Can you share what fax no you use for enquiry. I have written letters to them but never got any reply and it is very hard to get anybody over the phone. As I mentioned earlier you can get J1 extention untill DOS reached to a decision.
Dear Raonj1

the FAX nos of DoS for J-1 visa waiver enquiry are:

202-663-2868 (got from the enquiry officer)

202-663-3899 (from the website)