J1 Exhcnage visitor visa question

latvian

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,

I have a Swedish friend who wants to apply for a J1 visa to do an internship program in one the US firms. She is married to a Green card holder (who is going to be a USC in 2012) and they have a baby who is Swedish of course. The question is, can she apply for the J1 visa for her and J2 for the baby and they after the husband becomes a USC petition for them (The mom and the baby) and apply for the Green Card? I have read somewhere on the internet that the J1 visa holder exchange visitor can not apply for a green nor a business visa until after 2 years, is there such a law?

Thanks in advance

It depends. Most J-1 have to go back to their home country to reside for two years, and then they can apply for GC unless you have your J-1 waiver. You have to check if your J-1 has the two years home country residency.
J-1 can apply for B-1 and B-2 during the two years.

A b-1 b-2 will not allow her to work or study. She can actually enter with out a visa because Sweden is on the visa waiver program.
she be able to enter on the visa waiver program. Get an F-1 and be allowed to do the internship and get a work auth.

She does not qualify for either J1 or F1 or B1/B2 due to her immigrant intent. Her husband can file for a GC for her and baby; he can upgrade it once he is a citizen. This is her only realistic option to enter. What she should not do is attempt to enter and not disclose when asked her marriage to a LPR. This can result is a permanent ban from ever entering the US.

She should expect to need to remain in Sweden until her GC is issued.

Here is the information on J1 visa and Two-year Foreign Residence Requirement
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1288.html

So, your friend should know whether the J1 visa that she is considering will come with the Two-year Foreign Residence Requirement. (Some J1 visa does not come with this requirement.) If it DOES come with this requirement, they may want to look for other options. I recommend your friend to see immigration lawyers for seeking what kind options are available without causing future problems.

>The question is, can she apply for the J1 visa for her and J2 for the baby and they after the husband becomes a USC petition for them (The mom and the baby) and apply for the Green Card?

If the J visa is the type that has two years home residency requirement, she and her child cannot apply GC without completion or waiver of the requirement. Marriage to US citizen does not give them a waiver.

The J1 visa holder exchange visitor can not apply for a green nor a business visa until after 2 years.Some J1 visa does not come with this requirement.

During my stay in the US with my J-1 I get my Social Security Card. Can I go back to the US and try to get a job with this document???

There are 3 kinds of SSN. What kind did you get? Since you were J1 when you got it, it should be a limited one, which cannot authorize you to work. You can check the card, there is some words on it. That kind of card is only for you to get bank account...

I am on j1 and need to fill change of address form online. when I try to submit form there is message saying invalid 'A' number. Can some body tell me where to find this 'A' number.

Hi I came to US with a J 1 visa(2 years does not aplly) and I got a SSN(sponsor by an employer but expired on february), now I am out of status but I got married in March what was my Grace time, now I waiting for USCIS send me the papers to get the fingerprints, I sent them the papers on june.