J1 and marriage to US citizen - pls help!!!

sorrayah

Registered Users (C)
hi guys,

i am aupair from Slovakia on J1 visa (expiration date 09/05/2007) already married to US citizen from december 2006. but i have problem now. today the director of my au pair agency called me that they are canceling my visa in couple of days because of my marriage. me and my husband havent started the adjustment of status yet because of his work but planning to do so in two weeks. can you please give some advice what to do? can i apply for adjustment of status even i am out of status right now?
thank you

yes, you can. And after you do, simply wait till you have your GC and don't leave the US, even though two weeks out of status will not have any effect on your coming back. So, as long as you have your I-94 and your passport with your visa - you'll be just fine.

Is it ok to leave aupair progrm in the middle, when one files AOS? or Do they have to finish one year prog?

lucyMO,
thank you very much for your response. this situation freaks me out but thank you for some good news.

Sorry LucyMO, I was asking about my situation. Is it ok to leave program in middle after filing AOS?

lu

yes, it is. For pretty much any non-immigrant status, that status ends once you file for AOS.