J1 administrative processing

Hey Folks,

I owe an apology for being away from the forum for quite sometime. I came to US just last week and was really busy with things here. Well here is the update.

Date of interview-24 September at New Delhi for J1 visa.
Submitted questionare and CV-26 September
Got the call from embassy and was asked to submit a document-28 November (although it was written on my visa that they received the clearence from US on 19th November)
Received clearence to issue -16 December
Received the visa-20 December

In the waiting phase for receiving security clearence, I called the embassy and the DOS many times, but was not useful. Also they took almost 2 weeks for issuing the visa.

How about your visa?

Good luck!
Dazzy

J1 adminisrtrative processing

Hie folks..

I have been trackking your conversations for last few days. I am also sailing in the same boat. I had applied for J1 visa in Nov'08. For absolutely no evident objective reason my visa was put of hold for more administrative processing. I submitted the required documents in the consulate in next couple of days and since then i have been waiting for my visa. I keep checking the The Case status report optimistically every tuesday and friday.. :eek:
I had come across National Academy of Sciences (IVO) where in all the documents of administrative processing of visa are sent for checking. Does anybody in this forum has an idea whether sending information to IVO about pending visa process (Through a questionnaire on thier site) helps to expediate the process??? If so please share the experience. That will be a feel good factor for me :)

Good wishes to all and congrats to dazzy!!
Viren

hi

i noticed you mentioned that '(I keep checking the The Case status report optimistically every tuesday and friday.. :eek:)' may i ask how do you check this status, my case was put on aap at my interview last week and i dont know how to check the status of it. your reply is greatly appreciated thanx.

Hie folks..

I have been trackking your conversations for last few days. I am also sailing in the same boat. I had applied for J1 visa in Nov'08. For absolutely no evident objective reason my visa was put of hold for more administrative processing. I submitted the required documents in the consulate in next couple of days and since then i have been waiting for my visa. I keep checking the The Case status report optimistically every tuesday and friday.. :eek:
I had come across National Academy of Sciences (IVO) where in all the documents of administrative processing of visa are sent for checking. Does anybody in this forum has an idea whether sending information to IVO about pending visa process (Through a questionnaire on thier site) helps to expediate the process??? If so please share the experience. That will be a feel good factor for me :)

Good wishes to all and congrats to dazzy!!
Viren

Hi london1,
It depends on which location of US consulate held ur visa for AAP. Mine was by New delhi embassy, so my status will be on their website in Administrative processing section. Just check similarly in ur case. Hope to have been of ur help.

my case is held in london for aap so i will try and find my way there, thanx just one question if you know where is aap done consulate, doh, or uscis

QUOTE=viren_delhi;1999382]Hi london1,
It depends on which location of US consulate held ur visa for AAP. Mine was by New delhi embassy, so my status will be on their website in Administrative processing section. Just check similarly in ur case. Hope to have been of ur help.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Viren for your wishes.

When I was waiting for my visa, I did not come across any such service, where one could expedite administrative processing. On this page I posted a link where one could fill out a questionnaire if the J1 visa is delayed for more then 60 days. From my experience one can do nothing except waiting and let things run at their own speed. Now days, the usual waiting time is 8-10 weeks and sometimes even longer. Since it was holiday season here in US, so things would be on slower side. So hold on...I know very well that it is hard, but I am sure you will hear soon.

Good luck!
Dazzy

Satish and Owen, did you guys get through your visa?

hey guys...

Good news... all the good wishes came true! I got visa!! :)
Yeah dazzy.. the waiting period was tough.. almost 10 weeks!!
I had answered the questionnaire on IVO website.. i donno whether they can really help to expediate but they certainly take a notice of your information in questionnaire. I did get a mail from them that they have informed DOS about my case but they can not expedite. Even that mail was relaxing one. My visa process is not dump under files.. its actually in processing! :D
Please note that processing agencies take data from IVO to keep the track of delays. sometimes it may be longer but usually they end up in 8-10 weeks. http://nrc58.nas.edu/pgasurvey/Quask/HTML/Visas/visa.htm here is the link of questionnaire for those who r still waiting for their visa!!

Good luck to all u guys!!! keep posting in about ur visa status..
Dazzy have fun in US!! :)

Regards
Viren

h2b visa london

hi,
ive been going to america on h2b visas for 5 years, 2003/2005/2006/2007/2008.
i went to the london embassy 11th feb 2009 to get my new h2b for this april.
i went to the first window, all my paperwork was fine had no problems as usual, after 45 mins i then got called upto the 2nd window, this is where it went a little wrong.

When i got to the window, the young lady at the window didnt say anything to me for 3 or 4 mins, then she asked me when i last left america, which is was november last year. she then walked off for 5 mins, she then came back, and told me to go and sit down, when i asked why she said 'im not discussing it with you' which i thought was very rude.

After sitting in the waiting room for a further 45 mins, i was called back to the window. the woman then said to me all my paperwork was fine, there was just one problem, i have reached the 36 month maximum allowed on h2bs, she said i was supposed to wait in england for 6 mths after EACH visa , which i know is wrong. she then said there is exceptions to the rule and she issued me with a 221g AAP. i tried asking her questions, and she said ' im not discussing this with you i have no knowledge on this' so she signed it off to washington or them to decide if i can have an exception. i dont have to fill in no more paper work, just wait for an email telling me to send my passport.

i called the uscis when i got home they confirmed to me that that rule had changed on jan 18th this year, you now only have to wait out the country for 3months, meaning i am now back in status. Also i thought if i had a period of 6 months or more out of the usa, a few years ago my status would be reset?

but because i went to the window, where the person didnt know her job, i am forced to wait in england with no way of knowing how longthis is going to take.

has this happened to anyone before? what steps can i take? can i call up any senior consular and complain or appeal? can i cancel my current pending application and file a new one?

it has now been 5 1/2 weeks and still nothing

Hello to all,
I hope this is helpful to J1 aspirants. I gave my interview for a J1 visa in the Mumbai consulate on the 9th Nov. I was supposed to visit US for a fellowship from 1st Dec 2010 to 28th Feb 2011. After the interview, the consular officer put my case under administrative processing (i don't know why) and she did not give me any specific information as to when i would get my visa. Her reply was "as soon as the processing is over we will let you know" After a long and anxious wait, i got an email stating to deposit my passport on the 6th Dec.....and then finally got my passport with the visa stamped on it on 9th Dec. The visa they gave me was valid only till 28th Feb 2011. Needless to say i had to cut short my fellowship due to that. So it usually takes around a month......sometime more for the administrative processing. I would suggest people to apply for the visa well in advance to avoid the delay that happened in my case. I hope the high handedness of these people (consular officers) ends soon.

Hi Satish,
My interview was on 24th September. I mailed them the questionare on 26th September. As I have read on these forums, the case is referred to DOS after they receive the questionare. This is what I was expecting when I called them, but the lady there told me that they received it on 24th.
I do not know about these 'NA'. I called the DOS visa section directly and they will tell you when was the case referred to them. Infact, this is the only thing they are willing to share. I think that you should call them directly to clear any doubts.
Do you have the DOS number?
Dazzy

What is the DOS number? They've send me to pay the courier as if my visa was going to be issued but when I ask the courier it tells me it's still "pending"...When I go to the embassy, the personnel tells me I need to wait, it could take as long as 10 months!, this without even asking me for a reference number, it's just a generic response,..I have no contact information as the embassy doesn't allowed you without an appointment. When I call the call center that deals with visa appointments they don't have the information and again tell me to wait...and they kept my passport, so what am I supposed to do in the meantime? I can't even travel to another country without my passport? It's a J1 renewal visa, I have to finish my dissertation and can't go back to it until this is cleared. It's been two weeks already.

Last edited by a moderator:
J1 extension delay

I was given "a green pending letter" by the consular officer during my j1 extension interview.The green leter said that it will take 2 weeks.and I was asked to give several documents.My interview was on 27dec10 at mumbai consulate and I have given the documents on 5jan11.Till now I have not heard anything from the consulate.Whether any one have any rough idea.I am in bewteen a key experiemnt and both department and me have invested heavily on that.I have never expected this delay as I had all the documents.Whether you guys have any idea as to how long the process will take?

From my experience and other's stories, the average time is 12 weeks. Few will be outside that range (few days or stuch for ever). This 12 weeks is the the average time for your file to be on the top to be cleared. Examining the file it self will take from 60-180 seconds.
Please contact me @ xxxxxx

Last edited by a moderator: