J-2 or ...?

CristinaC

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone.
I'm from Italy and I will start in the Fall my PhD as a Fulbright student, with a J-1 visa.
I have heard it is very difficult for Fulbrighters to obtain a HRR waiver.
My question is about my fiancé, who wants to come to the US to work.
He works in Italy as a consultant and would like to keep working in Italy as well as in the US, so we could come back easily if I can't get a waiver for the HRR.

Would you advice he asks for a H1-B visa (but he does not have a sponsor yet, and he would prefer not to work full time for just one employer) or for a J-2 visa (with us getting married before, of course :))?
From what I understand, the main pro about the H1-B is that it does not have the 2 year HRR, while the J-2 would be faster to obtain.

With your experience, what would you recommend? :confused:

Thanks!

Cristina

Hello everyone.
I'm from Italy and I will start in the Fall my PhD as a Fulbright student, with a J-1 visa.
I have heard it is very difficult for Fulbrighters to obtain a HRR waiver.
My question is about my fiancé, who wants to come to the US to work.
He works in Italy as a consultant and would like to keep working in Italy as well as in the US, so we could come back easily if I can't get a waiver for the HRR.

Would you advice he asks for a H1-B visa (but he does not have a sponsor yet, and he would prefer not to work full time for just one employer) or for a J-2 visa (with us getting married before, of course :))?
From what I understand, the main pro about the H1-B is that it does not have the 2 year HRR, while the J-2 would be faster to obtain.

With your experience, what would you recommend? :confused:

Thanks!

Cristina

J2 after marriage is an easy option because:
1- To find an H sponsor is relatively difficult and time consuming (for sure depending on his qualification and the market here)
2- J2 is permitted to apply for work authorization and easy to get it
3- Since you are a J1 and as you mentioned quite diffect to get waiver, he supposed to return with you for the 2 yr HRR so at that time H or J is equal