J-1 waiver (fulbright)

nikovs

Registered Users (C)
Greetings all.

I am in the process of what I hope to be a successful no objection based 212(e) HRR waiver and am seeking views from people with similar experience:

1. Spent 1995-1997 getting my MBA on a Fulbright ($12K total funding - they only paid for room and board during the 1st year of a 2 year program. No tuition and not a penny during the 2nd year.

2. Spent a year in practical training

3. Spent the last 9 years on an O-1

Would very much appreciate any views on:
a) expected timing (anyone know what the average time to get thru sponsor views might be)?
b) similar experiences
c) any other words of wisdom

Thanks a million in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Would very much appreciate any views on:
a) expected timing (anyone know what the average time to get thru sponsor views might be)?
b) similar experiences
c) any other words of wisdom

Thanks a million in advance!

a) mine took 3 weeks, I have seen 6 months time line
b) ...
c) patience and hope for the best!!! I think your argument for the waiver is one of the best I have seen being shared online. Best wishes and post your success (I hope) story!!!

ps. I am very curious how they accepted your (c) and (f) reasoning :)

re: Nemu

Thanks, Nemu. Did you have a Fulbright-based J-1 as well?

In general, how many Fulbrighters have managed to sneak through?

See my post below for my sponsor response time, but I was not a Fullbright.

As to your question, searching this forum will indicate that there have been cases where Fullbrights have been able to obtain a waiver based on No Objection, but it's pretty rare. The key is to build a good case and a convincing (and perhaps lawyer-approved) Statement of Reason. It looks like you prepared pretty well though, but might want to consider another method (hardship?) if warranted, which you can probably do simultaneously for a new fee.

re: jk0274 - sponsor response

Thanks jk0274 - I am running on 6+ weeks already. The consensus on this portal seems to be centered around 4 weeks with some outliers reaching as long as 6. I guess all I can do is wait and hope...

I was a fulbrighter too, NO basis are impossible to get (as I was told by a Fulbright officer, who decides on such applications)...
I got waiver based on extreme hardship to my US family members.

information about waiver

Hi Dealnest,

Can you please add more information on how you got the waiver on the basis of extreme hardship for your US family members?
Thanks