J-1 Waiver Follow-Up

Foreigndoctor

I have few questions and concern about my J-1 waiver process. I hope someone can help me get an idea. I am waiting for favorable recommendation from DOS. However my DS-2019 is expiring in June 30, 2009. Now I have few concerns:

1) Is it possible for me to renew my driving license for 1 more month till July 31, 2009 since it is expiring with my DS-2019?
2) I have a Canadian Passport, In case DOS takes long time to approve my waiver, can I go back to Canada after July and re-enter as a visitor to follow-up pending waiver and H-1B petition?
3) In case DOS's approval takes time and I have to leave the US after July, what about 1-94 or DS-2019? Do I have to keep it with me or return to someone?

I have few questions and concern about my J-1 waiver process. I hope someone can help me get an idea. I am waiting for favorable recommendation from DOS. However my DS-2019 is expiring in June 30, 2009. Now I have few concerns:

1) Is it possible for me to renew my driving license for 1 more month till July 31, 2009 since it is expiring with my DS-2019?
2) I have a Canadian Passport, In case DOS takes long time to approve my waiver, can I go back to Canada after July and re-enter as a visitor to follow-up pending waiver and H-1B petition?
3) In case DOS's approval takes time and I have to leave the US after July, what about 1-94 or DS-2019? Do I have to keep it with me or return to someone?

1- No
2-Yes
3- Return I94 when you exit, keep DS for your records

got a license in May: expiring DS-2019 in Summer

Hi Foreigndoctor,

I got my driver's license in this May (I got my permit September last year), although my DS-2019 and J1-VISA was going to expire in August, this year. The driver's license is good for many years. They did not say anything special about my VISA or DS-2019. So, I did not say anything about it. I don't remember whether I showed my passsport to them. There might be a difference from state to state. It is said (I don't know "by whom") that my state is also going to change the regulation:check the visa expiration date and give the license only good for the visa duration. Also, it seems like my state allows driver's license holders to renew their license from outside state or oversea. The process wil be mailing. The new license will not have their photo on the driver's license so it will not work as their picture ID. When they come back to the state, they go to the driver's license place and make it into the license with a picture.

You may just try renew your license.

Last edited by a moderator: