J-1 Visa Holder to F-1 Opt. Still in the US but need help with getting the new visa.

Roshith

Hi,

I am a J-1 visa holder. The last date on my DS 2019 form is January 07, 2011. So while I cannot work in the US, I am legally allowed to remain in the U.S. until February 06, 2011.

I have received a job offer in the US. However, the employer cannot file for an H-1 visa because I only have a three year bachelor's degree and not enough experience. So the only option I have right now is to go to School and work with OPT on a F visa. I have found one where I am able to work full time because of the way the program is structured. They have reviewed all my documents and they said that they will issue the I-20 in a few days.

The program is slated to start on 29 January 2009. The director suggested that I do not apply for a change of status since it will could take anywhere from one month to 6 months and my job offer may not hold good until then. I am also using my job offer as proof that I will be able to pay for my education.

So the only other option I have is to leave the US and go to a US Consulate outside the US and get a new F-1 visa.

So I guess my choices are India (I am a citizen of India), the bahamas or Canada. Is there any other option? Which of these options would you think is best in terms of greater success rate and also being able to get my pass port back in time for the 29th of January?

Also, do you foresee any reason why my F visa may be rejected? Does the fact that I am currently on a J visa strengthen or weaken my chance to get the F visa?

I would greatly appreciate any response I get since I only have a couple of days to decide.

Thanks!

Also, I do not have TOEFL or GRE scores as the school that admitted me did not need them. My marks in my bachelor's degree were good. Is that a problem as far as the F visa is concerned?

Hi,

I am a J-1 visa holder. The last date on my DS 2019 form is January 07, 2011. So while I cannot work in the US, I am legally allowed to remain in the U.S. until February 06, 2011.

I have received a job offer in the US. However, the employer cannot file for an H-1 visa because I only have a three year bachelor's degree and not enough experience. So the only option I have right now is to go to School and work with OPT on a F visa. I have found one where I am able to work full time because of the way the program is structured. They have reviewed all my documents and they said that they will issue the I-20 in a few days.

The program is slated to start on 29 January 2009. The director suggested that I do not apply for a change of status since it will could take anywhere from one month to 6 months and my job offer may not hold good until then. I am also using my job offer as proof that I will be able to pay for my education.

So the only other option I have is to leave the US and go to a US Consulate outside the US and get a new F-1 visa.

So I guess my choices are India (I am a citizen of India), the bahamas or Canada. Is there any other option? Which of these options would you think is best in terms of greater success rate and also being able to get my pass port back in time for the 29th of January?

Also, do you foresee any reason why my F visa may be rejected? Does the fact that I am currently on a J visa strengthen or weaken my chance to get the F visa?

I would greatly appreciate any response I get since I only have a couple of days to decide.

Thanks!

Is this a legitimate program? Most responsible institutions require TOFLE and appropriate standardized test scores for admission. Also, what makes you think that as a full time student, you have time to work full time?

Why were you job hunting on a J-1 when you knew you were not qualified to work? Do you have a 2 year HRR?

First time stamping often requires that you apply in your home country for proper evaluation of credentials.

Using your US future earnings to pay for these classes is unacceptable. You must have tuition and living expenses available now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. The program is a legit program. I will be doing my Masters in Finance. They said they do not need GMAT scores because they looked at my marks in my undergraduate and they were satifised with my grades.

I do not have the two year HRR with my J-1.

The TOEFL is usually needed but can be waived at the discretion of the school. I spoke to the director of admissions and he felt that I did not need a TOEFL.

So you recommend going to India to get apply for my visa? Will that not take longer? The program starts on 29 January and I would like for all of this to be done before that. That is why I thought it might be quicker to go to Canada and try there. Or the Bahamas.

Thank you for your help

Also, the classes are on Saturday. So I will have time to work using CPT during the remaining 5 days of the week.

Some Exchange Visitors may be subject to something called a two-year foreign residency requirement. This means that before the Exchange Visitor can change status to certain other non-immigrant visa categories and/or pursue a U.S. Green Card, he must first leave the U.S. and return home for a period of two years.