J-1 Home Residency Requirement

Swathi Mohan

what is this J-1 Home Residency Requirement?

how long is J1 visa valid?

mine is 1 year first...then based on my performance, i get extended.

Is there any limit for J1 like H1. (For H1, after 6 years you need to spend 1 year outside US)?

What is J1 waiver?. How this is applied?. Who is eligible for J1 waiver?

From J1, how can i get GC?. J1 waiver is applied before applying for GC?

I am stunned by your lack of knowledge about the program in which you are now participating. You need to sit down with someone in your international students/visitors office and have a discussion about your obligations and options for the future. Some of your questions should have been answered before you agreed to participate.

And - you cannot go from a J-1 to a GC simply on the basis that you are holding a J-1 visa.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you are just starting out on this whole process. Very understandable, it can be very confusing without some help.

The J-1 Home residency requirement is basically an insurance that you will return to your home country to work for at least 2 years after you finish your residency in the U.S.

As far as I know there's no residency requirement for H-1 but if you run out of time on the H-1 and do not acquire Permanent residency you'll have to go back to your home country.

The J-1 Waiver process can be awful complicated, and I highly recommended h1j1physicians.com for detailed information on how the process works and some examples on specific US state requirements.
In fact I got most of my knowledge on IMG process from h1j1physicians.com, so be sure to check it out.

And like the previous post mentions, you cannot go straight from J-1 to Green card. You must acquire a j-1 waiver and subsequently the H-1B status, and then the Green card.

Much luck to you. And don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have any!

what is this J-1 Home Residency Requirement?

how long is J1 visa valid?

mine is 1 year first...then based on my performance, i get extended.

Is there any limit for J1 like H1. (For H1, after 6 years you need to spend 1 year outside US)?

What is J1 waiver?. How this is applied?. Who is eligible for J1 waiver?

From J1, how can i get GC?. J1 waiver is applied before applying for GC?

First of all, figure out if YOU would be "subject to INA 212(e)" that's the 2 yr requirement. It depends on a few basic things for MOST folks. 1.) What occupation is involved and, 2.) Is that on YOUR country's list on the State Department's "skills list" , 3.) Is your country even on the list, and 4.) What is the source of funding?

Start here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1267.html