J-1 Extension

jammna

Hi all:

My DS-2019 expires in 06/2007, plannin on appyling for extension. I think I will get an extension till 11/2007. My questions:
- Could someone who's gone thru this tell me about the procedure to apply for an extension OR a link that i could info off?
- How long does it take for an extension to come thru?
- Can I work on a J-1 extended visa?

thanks

You do not apply for J-1 extensions, your sponsor does. If your current program wishes to keep you longer, or you want them to keep you longer, they will take care of the necessary application to the DOS (if need be).

So basically, you need to go first to your boss and see if they want to extend you, then you go to the office that issued your DS-2019 form at your institute and tell them you want to extend. They will need to do the rest, if you are otherwise eligible (have not maxed out your program duration, and have not received a waiver of the home residency requirement should you be subject to it).

Extensions can be as quick as a few days or, if needing DOS approval (which I don't think it does anymore), a few weeks.

If you get an extension, it will allow to continue doing exactly what you do now, no more and no less - at the same place you work now, nowhere else.

Hi all:

My DS-2019 expires in 06/2007, plannin on appyling for extension. I think I will get an extension till 11/2007. My questions:
- Could someone who's gone thru this tell me about the procedure to apply for an extension OR a link that i could info off?
- How long does it take for an extension to come thru?
- Can I work on a J-1 extended visa?

thanks

I did this. Your institute should do that for you and yoy pay $198 fees. I did it for 2 years at one time, and get approved in 4 days.