J-1 extension issue

lakeplacid74

Hello,

'm an indian, n been in US on J-1 from 2004. My visa expires on July, 11, 2007. I have the copy of "advisory opinion" in favour of me. I have decided not to continue under present mentor. But, I want to continue in US for 2-3 more yr working as postdoc in a different uni/insti/lab. Been approaching various professors for postdoc position. though my CV is under consideration, nothing has been finalised yet.

My question is ....how early i need to get another position to be eligible to stay in US ? wt r the other possibilities if i am unble to get j-1 extension before it expires ?

hope i have cleared things .....

thanks in advane,

Till when your DS2019 is valid? You are fine till it is valid. Once invalid, you are out of status. Take new postdoc position before that or ask your university to extend it (difficult generally in US).

my DS2019 is valid till july 11, 2007. for some reasons, I do not feel comfortable asking my current mentor for extension.

How early should I start the transfer proess, then, if i manage to get another position?

Or else, can I ask for H visa from the prospective employer (since i have the copy of advisory opinion)?