J-1 and marriage to USC

igo

I am a doctoral student with J-1 visa. Under this visa I am NOT subject to section 212(E). However, my previous J-1 visa requires me to satisfy two-year home-country stay requirement. I travel frequently to my home country Russia and at this moment I have 7 months left to spend in Russia.

Questions:
If I marry a US citizen, would it create any problems for me to enter the US with my current J-1 visa?
and
Would I have a problem to extend/receive another J-1 visa which I will need for conducting my Academic Training?
Thank you.

I am a doctoral student with J-1 visa. Under this visa I am NOT subject to section 212(E). However, my previous J-1 visa requires me to satisfy two-year home-country stay requirement. I travel frequently to my home country Russia and at this moment I have 7 months left to spend in Russia.

>Questions:
>If I marry a US citizen, would it create any problems for me to enter the US with my current J-1 visa?

My friend who was on J1 visa with 2 years home country residency requirement got married to USC. She did not seek for J1-waiver and stayed on her J1 program. For summer vacation, she traveled back to her home country for short time and came back to US to back to her J1 program. She had no problem to enter the US. But, you should check with your J1 program visa officer about this. Immigration officer would simply call your J1 visa program officer if anything strange he felt. It is better that your J1 visa officer knows your situation well.

and
>Would I have a problem to extend/receive another J-1 visa which I will need for conducting my Academic Training?

My friend I mentioned above did Academic Training after she got married to USC. Note that she did not seek for J1 waiver. Note that She did not do I-130. If you do I-130, you may have trouble to get new J1-"visa" or extend your J1-"visa". But, you may simply need to get your DS-2019 extended to continue your J1 program or do Academic Training (which is still part of J1 program, I think.). Note that you need a visa to enter to the US.

I highly recommend you to consult with your J1 program visa officer.