IV Letter 2 Weeks after FP

MasterUSA,
Great!! I am scheduled for an interview on 12/5, one day after yours. Please don't forget to post your interview experience.

Congratulations !!!!!! I am amazed at your timeline. Without asking for personal info. or being coy, can you help us understand why your case went so fast? The harsh reality is that those applicants with certain names, current nationality, background etc. can take much longer than others. I am a Brit. and have had a Green Card since 1983 but still have no interview scheduled (three months after FP) but this does not seem unusual. I realise that many applicants wait a year or more. The delay in my case might be a long history of work-related travel to several countries that might now be deemed controversial. Again, well done and the very best of luck with the rest of your process.

rwsh said:
Congratulations !!!!!! I am amazed at your timeline. Without asking for personal info. or being coy, can you help us understand why your case went so fast? The harsh reality is that those applicants with certain names, current nationality, background etc. can take much longer than others. I am a Brit. and have had a Green Card since 1983 but still have no interview scheduled (three months after FP) but this does not seem unusual. I realise that many applicants wait a year or more. The delay in my case might be a long history of work-related travel to several countries that might now be deemed controversial. Again, well done and the very best of luck with the rest of your process.

Read the recent NYtimes article and you might understand why people who have been longer in the country tend to wait to have longer timelines.

Also, in the case of people on this thread, their name check cleared in stage 1, i.e. NO MANUAL SEARCH WAS NEEDED. That typically takes 48-72 hours, hence the immediate interview scheduling.

In both mine and your case, it seems that we are in stage 2 of the name check process which takes a maximum of 3 months for 99% of the cases. Ultimately, the longer you are the country, the more likely you will receive a hit on the FBI's records BEFORE October 1995 which is when their records switched from paper to electronic.

If you are a hit with someone's records before October 1995, then someone will have to physically retrieve it from one of the 265 FBI field offices around the country - i.e. more delay etc.

There is a link to an article in the NYtimes somewhere in the forum - it explains the delay for people who have been here for 15, 20 or 30 years.

Here is the link:

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/10/23/nyregion/23citizen.html

dckaraja said:
Good Luck Bro..!!.That is my anniversary date.Hoping I get one soon

Thanks.

doc75 said:
MasterUSA,
Great!! I am scheduled for an interview on 12/5, one day after yours. Please don't forget to post your interview experience.

Sure why not? Everyone on this board have shared so much to help each other out. I owe my experience to this board!

rwsh said:

Thank you. I don't know why my case went so fast. I wish I knew. Considering my PD(07/19/06) my case has a normal timeline. But considering that it took 2 months to get the initial receipt notice and just 2 weeks after FP I got the IV letter, yes my timeline is fast.

I think our good friend eo23 has hit the nail on its head regarding the name check delays for those staying in the country for a long time. If you are here for a long time you have both paper records and electronic records. FBI will have to clear your name from both these lists and hence a delay.

Having said that I have my own theory about my case. I spend time speculating why things happen a certain way with USCIS when I have nothing else to do(Wow! what a way to kill time!).

When I did not get my initial receipt notice after nearly 8 weeks all kinds of weird thoughts ran through my mind. My name(last name in particular) does sound similar to some middle eastern name or so says some of my friends. I thought I was in namecheck quagmire before it started. Then a funny thought came to my mind. My application number ends with 911 and in these post 9/11 days it is not good to have those three numbers associated with you in any shape or form(LOL) and I thought that may be the reason why my application is jinxed but then 911 repeats for every 1000 applications there must be lots and lots of folks out there crying foul about there receipt numbers ending with 911 so that was not the case.

Finally I made an info. pass appointment to see why I did not get the receipt notice. While I was at the window I overheard the conversation between the officer at the local DO and another person in the regional center. I heard her say something on the lines ".........so if they have that in history it will delay the application. Now that it has cleared we should not have any delays right?". I don't know what she was referring to. Mine is straight forward case. No break in residency requirement,never had a brush with law,no break in employment no negative remark whatsoever. I am just a regular Joe like everyone else.

Something in my application or history has triggered the USCIS to put my namecheck on a fasttrack. I think they had to clear my name even before they accepted my application. So there was an initial delay of 2 months. The reason why I think they put me through namecheck in the first place is because whenever I called the customer service I was told that USCIS had to verify something with my application and they are verifying it. They never told me what they were verifying. It is just my speculation that they did a namecheck for whatever the reason even before my application was accepted. I have read elsewhere that USCIS has the authority to put a namecheck on a fast track basis. That may also be the reason why my IV letter was sent just after 2 weeks from FP.

I can't stress enough that all this is just my speculation. Please do not draw any conclusion from it. Read it for your entertainment only. :)

Dani said:
Jesus Christ God Almighty, me neither!
Well, congrats, mate!

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's really cool!!! Congratulations!!!

About the living in the country for longer and having to wait longer for the IL , I'm not too sure of. My mom applied on June 2006 and she's been living in the USA for 27 years. She got her FP in 2weeks and her interview letter 3 weeks after that. Needless to say, she took oath at the beginning of September, which means she became a citizen in 3 months...

I guess some people are just lucky...I'm still waiting. Anyhow. CONGRATS!

robotina said:
That's really cool!!! Congratulations!!!

About the living in the country for longer and having to wait longer for the IL , I'm not too sure of. My mom applied on June 2006 and she's been living in the USA for 27 years. She got her FP in 2weeks and her interview letter 3 weeks after that. Needless to say, she took oath at the beginning of September, which means she became a citizen in 3 months...

I guess some people are just lucky...I'm still waiting. Anyhow. CONGRATS!

It is just funny how people are quick to counter a speculation and prove they are wrong! Well, that's life with USCIS. You never know.

All the best

MasterUSA,

All the best for your interview don't forget to post your interview experience, I have my interview on 5th Dec.

Also what all documents are you taking with you? Has your wife received interview date?

doc75 said:
MasterUSA,

All the best for your interview don't forget to post your interview experience, I have my interview on 5th Dec.

Thank you and I sure will share my experience. I owe my experience to this forum!

doc75 said:
Also what all documents are you taking with you? Has your wife received interview date?

Since my case is straight forward I don't want to over do things and plan to take only those documents that have been asked in the IV letter. My wife has still not received her IV letter. Just waiting.

You'll have to say what questions you got. Mine is gone extremely fast as well. I applied for the N-400 at the end of Oct and have my interview date early Jan. Over a week before my 3 years (marriage based) PR date hits the 3 year mark. I won't complain and I've been here since 1997...

I think the speed of the process really depends on the jurisdiction/DO.
Mine was in MD - Baltimore DO. VSC got my application on July 5, 2006 and on November 13, 2006 I walked out of Baltimore with my certificate!!