Its official : Notify address Address change within 10 days

Vivekm

Registered Users (C)
Its official : Notify address change within 10 days

Attorney General (John Ashcroft) has announced that the INS intends to make the notification of change of address mandatory for ALL foreigners, immigrants and non-immigrants alike. This rule has been on books for many years.. but yesterday they announced that this will be treated as a criminal offense ( Failure to notify address change within 10 days)

AILA advises to send the change of address via certified mail return receipt requested and keep a copy.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miami/3714233.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought

hmmm. Any law-abiding person would notify the local post office about the address change for forwarding the mail... Is it too much to expect to send a notification automatically to INS when the address change enters the USPS records?

Yes, it will be too much of a burden

reason being.....

This law is for foreign immigrants and not for all usa residents. Why would Post Office bother to first find out ur legal status in usa and then send the update to INS. Too much info. overhead for them.

I know it wont happen anytime soon .. but ideal way for INS to deal with this should be to provide an option where immigrants can go online and change their address ( account protected) instead of filling up the forms and worrying what if INS loses it.

This new enforcement is more significant to those who are part of consulting firms and shift job location quite often. They should raise their voice against this too-harsh enforcement.

This is just the beginning

Life will be much tougher for immigrants.
God bless America and protect the immigrants!:( :(

I live in NJ and use to live in an apt say #1 and in June I moved with in my friend's apt say #2and have used this apt#2 address while filling my 485. So INS has my current address.
My Qs is do I still need to file ar-11? I asked my lawyer and he says don't worry you are fine. And Ar-11 is only for GC holder who changed residence.

I am confused ????????????????????:confused:

I don't know about AR-11.. but this new regulation will be enforced w.r.t. all (immigrants and non-immigrants) who are not US citizens.

I'm not sure how strict the enforcement would be .. but its safer to register your new address . That way you won't give INS an excuse to go after you (INS really can if it wants after this rule is enforced).

My guess is this rule will be strictly followed for those who are from middle-east ( or muslim countries). Nevertheless.. this rule is pain in the ass for all non-US citizens

Being a consultant on the move......

my 485 application reflects current address. However the H1B visa has my old address. Sending in a change-of-address now could confuse the INS that my 485 application address is an old one. So it could unecessarily trigger an RFE and delay the GC process.

Technically INS has my new address thru I-485.

CalGal,

My take is you should be fine because you have conveyed your new address to INS in some form or another. INS can not argue that you did not inform them about your new address ( like they did for this poor palestinian and deported hom solely for that reason.. irrespective of him being a green card holder)