It's A Beautiful Day - Approved

goAstros,

I know how you feel. I have a feeling that you would get letter by July 15. But that may not help you as you have to go to local USCIS.

I suggest you go ahead with your plan. Go to Houston and when the letter comes visit one day to DC. You can arrive the night before and go back to TX happily next day.

Please note that AR11 does not trigger address change for mail from USCIS. Address change can be done only by calling 800 CIS. But even if you do that, they take time to update records.

USPS forwarding address also does not work all the time. Good that your apartment people are helping you. I know, some people wanted to buy house after approval and did not move until they got plastic card. In those days it used to take 6 to 8 months for p card.

Even if you get courtesy copy then that is enough but you need to go to address listed in the approval letter. Obviously it will be DC. But there is no harm in trying out Houston office first. At the most they would say no. Then as stated earlier, schedule a visit. Please inform your new employer about your situation so that he will not mind your one day off as you will be new in the organization.

You can Try Houston for stamping

GoAstros:

I found the following on Texas Immigration portal. Looks like you can try your luck at Houston

"Actually stamping was scheduled in Atlanta (my lawyers office in Atlanta) but I just went to my local Denver office and get it stamped. Office took my last EADs and APs, Finger printing and within 10 minutes I was done. I got the Card with 2 weeks after stamping "

Posted by SK on Texas Immigration portal

Try getting your courtsey copy - but this is not a must, because you can also use the real approval letter that goes to your lawyer. But you need one of the two for sure.

What they do during stamping is that they look up your details on the computer, fill up some form, and staple the approval notice, I94, photos and AP/EADs to it. This could be possible at any USCIS office. So, there is no harm in trying Houston office as longGC mentioned. But, the approval letter does say the office to which you have to go.

They don't check any address during the appointment. On the side, they normally send the Green card to the lawyer - that is what they told me. I took the lawyers copy of the approval letter during stamping, they pointed to the address on there and told me that the GC will be sent to that address. I don't know what would have happened if I had taken the courtsey copy. If GC is always sent to the lawyer, do you have to worry about AR11?

Last edited by a moderator: