Itin #

tamilpayyan

Registered Users (C)
Can somebody help me !!!

I am on H1B Visa currently. Recently I got my I140 Approval and also recieved my EAD card and AP approvals. In the mean time I called my parents to visit US for vacation. They came here in June. Since they will be here for 4 -6 months I wanted to apply ITIN # for them with the IRS so that I can catogorize them as my dependents when I file my TAXES for 2003.

My parents started filling the FORM W-7, and the first section of the new form says:

RESON FOR SUBMITTING FORM W-7:

1. Non Resident Alien required to obtain ITIN to claim tax treaty benefit.
2. Non Resident Alien filing a US Tax Return and not eligible for SSN
3. US Resident Alien
4. Dependent of a US Citizen / Resident Alien
5. Spouse of a US Citizen / Resident Alien
6. Non Resident alien student, Professor, or Researcher
7. Dependent / Spouse of a Non Resident Alien Visa Holder. (Enter Name and type of VISA)
8. Other INS Classification.

My question is, which one of these 8 choices should they select ?

Pls help !!!
:confused:

I have done this . I think #4 is appropriate.
I have to doublecheck. I think I have the copy of the application
itself

love_immi

Thanks for your help. When you get a chance could you please recheck the form you filled and let me know.

Also please let me know whether you had the same 8 options in the form you filled to select from.

Appreciate your time.

:cool:

I don't think you can claim your parents as dependents on your tax return unless they have a green card.

you cannot claim visitors as your dependents. For them to be your dependents they have to be here on a long term status.

Don't try something foolish for few bucks so that later you have to pay a high price for the same. Remember they can always revoke your green card as well.

Use No. 7

tamilpayyan,

Use No. 7 in this case. That's what my CPA asked me to use. I have already got ITIN nos. for my parents.

Also, according to my CPA, depending on the case, one may get upto $900 back from IRS for each parent and of course he knows that I am on H-1

cheers
:)

Originally posted by savant123456
you cannot claim visitors as your dependents. For them to be your dependents they have to be here on a long term status.

If you can prove that you have supported them for more than 50%, you can claim them as your dependents. My b-in-law has been claiming his parents since 1992. They come and stay with him for 7 months every year!!

Last edited by a moderator: