ITIN to SSN

SSN number's first digit apparently depends on where you apply it from. For example I did mine from NJ and it starts with 1. My wife and daughter did it from Chicago area, IL and it starts with 3. I didn't know or notice this until my cell phone dealer asked me if I had moved from NY/east coast area when I gave him my SSN to sign up. I was surprised and asked him how he knew that I had moved from NY/NJ area which was almost 4.5 years ago and he said that SSNs from that region start with 1 and those from chicago with 3.

urch,
go ahead and apply ssn# for ur son via ead/i485 route. i i did it and its pretty straight forward. apply for an ead for ur son through i 485 and once u get ead for ur son go to the local ssn office in person and apply for his card.
hcgcwait.

SSN number's first digit apparently depends on where you apply it from. For example I did mine from NJ and it starts with 1. My wife and daughter did it from Chicago area, IL and it starts with 3. I didn't know or notice this until my cell phone dealer asked me if I had moved from NY/east coast area when I gave him my SSN to sign up. I was surprised and asked him how he knew that I had moved from NY/NJ area which was almost 4.5 years ago and he said that SSNs from that region start with 1 and those from chicago with 3.
Social Security Numbers are structured as follows: First Three Digits are used to indicate the State where the Social Security Number was originally issued. Last Six Digits are a sequential number. Social Security Numbers were assigned to the various States and U.S. Territories as per the following schedule (These are the first three digits of the S.S.N.'s):

001-003... NEW HAMPSHIRE
004-007... MAINE
008-009... VERMONT
010-034... MASSACHUSETTS
035-039... RHODE ISLAND
040-O49... CONNECTICUT
050-134... NEW YORK
135-158... NEW JERSEY
159-211... PENNSYLVANIA
212-220... MARYLAND
221-222... DELAWARE
223-231... VIRGINIA
232-236... NORTH CAROLINA
237-246... NORTH CAROLINA
247-251... SOUTH CAROLINA
252-260... GEORGIA
261-267... FLORIDA
589-595... FLORIDA
268-302... OHIO
303-317... INDIANA
318-361... ILLINOIS
362-386... MICHIGAN
387-399... WISCONSIN
400-407... KENTUCKY
408-415... TENNESSEE
416-424... ALABAMA
425-428... MISSISSIPPI
587-588... MISSISSIPPI
429.432... ARKANSAS.
433-439... LOUISIANA
440-448... OKLAHOMA
449-467... TEXAS
627-645... TEXAS
4689477... MINNESOTA
478-485... IOWA
486.500... Missouri
5O1-502... NORTH DAKOTA
503-504... SOUTH DAKOTA
5O5-508... NEBRASKA
5O9-515... KANSAS
516-517... MONTANA
518-519... IDAHO
520-520... WYOMING
521-524... COLORADO
525-525... NEWMEXICO
585-585... NEW MEXICO
648-649... NEW MEXICO
526-527... ARIZONA
600-601... ARIZONA
528-529... UTAH
646-647... UTAH
530-530... NEVADA
531-539... WASHINGTON
540-544... OREGON
545-573... CALIFORNIA
602-626... CALIFORNIA
574-574... ALASKA
575-576... HAWAII
577-579... DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
580-584... PR & VI
596-596... PR & VI
586-586... GM, US SAMOA N. MARIANA ISLANDS & PHIL. ISLANDS
650-699... NOT YFT IN USE
700-728... RAILROAD RETIREMENT
729-999... NOT YET IN USE

From the above list the following SSN's are designated to but may or may not be in use or have not yet been designated for use at all:

650-699... NOT IN USE
729-999... NOT IN USE

I'm not so sure about this list..

..Because I've never been to the State against which the first 3 digits of my SSN are listed. Maybe mine is an exception.

But atleast it explains the logic of numbering. Thanks.

Titu

Even though EAD stands for "Employment Auth Doc" it is used for other purposes too.

One example is to get an SSN.
also if you have an EAD, then you are eligible for in-state tutions. Most schools ask for EAD proof (if you have GC pending) to make sure that you are eligible for in-state tutions.

So seems like EAD tries to reply GC for most other goverment and "Legal Status" related iuuses untill the GC is approved.

Why do you need SSN for minor?

Why would you need to get a SSN for a minor (8 yr and 10 yr kids! as someone posted before)?

Why will someone spend $$ on EAD fee, $$ on taking EAD pictures, $$ on mailing the EAD application package, just to get an EAD card for a minor to get a SS# for them?

Not only do such EAD requests represent a waste of money, but they do their bit (however small) to further slow down NSC (not that I think it is possible to slow NSC any further!)

What use does a minor have for a SS#?

You don't need it for:
- health insurance
- bank accounts
- investments
- drivers licence
- tax returns (ITIN) works

That's my 2 cents worth!

If you get the minor's SSN, then you can use it for claming taxes. And lot of times, spending these few hundred bucks to get the SSN will result in getting lot more than that in tax returns.

Originally posted by guju
If you get the minor's SSN, then you can use it for claming taxes. And lot of times, spending these few hundred bucks to get the SSN will result in getting lot more than that in tax returns.

The same can be achieved by spending nothing.....get an ITIN.

Not only that...in most states you need SSN to get a Driver's License( not for minors below 16) or even a State ID (for anybody).

Need some help, please. Whoever has exerience with spouse changing from ITIN to SSN. My wife got a SSN after getting her EAD. I have been using her ITIN for filing taxes for past 5 years.

Question 1 - I read somewhere in this thread that ITIN needs to be canceled when you get a SSN. How do you do that? I did see at IRS website that one cannot have both ITIN and SSN, but nowhere it says what to do when you get a SSN.

Question 2 - This is specifically to those in IL and have experience filing taxes electronically. I have been filing taxes electronically for the past few years. There is a passcode for it which you get by applying - I have it and have used it in the past. The problem now is my wife's passcode will not work for the new SSN and I can't get a passcode if I have not filed taxes with a SSN. It's catch 22. I just wanted to know if anyone has experience with a similar situation. I can always file paper return but just wanted to know if there is a way around.
Thanks

mxc,

Question 1
As UTGC2002 mentioned,
<If you still have the letter coming with ITIN, you will see there is an address where you should wrote to after you get the SSN.>

You may also call local IRS office or pay a visit.

Question 2
I think the system will not have the SSN info before you inform
IRS.

Thanks yager, I called IRS and they didn't have a clue and I decided to file my state taxes by mail this year and this way I can do it electronically next year.

Originally posted by samroze
I am not saying that issuing a SSN for minors is wrong but issuing SSN based on EAD doesn't make sense bcoz as far as I know the primary (and may be sole pupose) of the EAD is to allow the applicant to work and minors cannot work in this country.

Sure they can, you don't really think that the babies and kids in commercials are actually played by 18+ year olds? :)

Originally posted by mxc
Need some help, please. Whoever has exerience with spouse changing from ITIN to SSN. My wife got a SSN after getting her EAD. I have been using her ITIN for filing taxes for past 5 years.

Question 1 - I read somewhere in this thread that ITIN needs to be canceled when you get a SSN. How do you do that? I did see at IRS website that one cannot have both ITIN and SSN, but nowhere it says what to do when you get a SSN.

Question 2 - This is specifically to those in IL and have experience filing taxes electronically. I have been filing taxes electronically for the past few years. There is a passcode for it which you get by applying - I have it and have used it in the past. The problem now is my wife's passcode will not work for the new SSN and I can't get a passcode if I have not filed taxes with a SSN. It's catch 22. I just wanted to know if anyone has experience with a similar situation. I can always file paper return but just wanted to know if there is a way around.
Thanks
I was in a similar situation. 1) I wrote a letter to ITIN department of IRS, such as, "To whom it may concern..." and asked them to use SSN instead of ITIN for my wife. I think, instructions are somewhere on ITIN application. I also enclosed a photocopy of SSN card and ITIN card. But never heard back from them.
2) My electronic state (CA) 2002 tax return was rejected because passcode stopped working after switching to SSN for my wife. I called the phone number, which I found on the postcard with the passcode we received last time. A lady understood the problem and changed something in the database, then, she asked to re-file in 24 hours and it worked. She asked some questions about my last year return for identification.

Yes, It is required to inform IRS after receiving the SSN.

I have done that for my wife and currently doing it for my son.

On IRS website search for ITIN and you should find a phone # for ITIN related department. Call them and they will give a fax# where all the details along with the photocopy of ITIN and SSN card needs to be faxed. The fax confirmation is the only proof. I have not received any other confirmation from IRS.

Thanks

PS. I am not a lawyear or tax professional, use this info at your own risk.

Thanks ND022202 and gc_from_oh. I tried contacting ITIN department and they themselves had no clue. Even if I write or fax them, I think nothing is going to happen. So I just dropped it. As far as my illinois state return, I couldn't even file electronically since my spouse's new SSN and old passcode don't match. So I just fied a paper return. Hopefully when it gets accepted I will get a new passcode with the new SSN and next year I should be able to file electonically.