Is Visa required? URGENT

Votes: 1 50.0%

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

SUSOG

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am a GreenCard Holder. My Cousin lives in Canada. She is Indian and is Landed Immigrant there. She is coming to USA on
March 14th, 2003 and Going back on March 25th, 2003. I came to know that there are new Visa requirements for any one entering USA from Canada by March 17, 2003.
Does she need any visa to come here?

Thanks
SUSOG
===============

Hi Trueman,

But she will be here in USA after March 17, will she not be considered as illegal?

Thanks for your reply,

SUSOG

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by SUSOG
Hi Trueman,

But she will be here in USA after March 17, will she not be considered as illigal?

Thanks for your reply,

SUSOG

A visa is not required if she is entering US BEFORE March 17th. If she is admitted into US by an immigration inspector, she is legal until the date authorized regardless of whether she has a visa or not. And a visa is not required if she is leaving US.

A visa is not required if she is entering US BEFORE March 17th. If she is admitted into US by an immigration inspector, she is legal until the date authorized regardless of whether she has a visa or not. And a visa is not required if she is leaving US.\

What do you mean by * Until the Date Authorized *?
Are they giving any dates by which one needs to come back.

Re-Phrased Question

Hi All,

Will a Landed Immigrant from Canada, who does not take a US VISA, considered illegal in USA if he/she enters USA before March 17th, 2003 and stayes in USA for a week after that? My concern here is one weeks stay in USA [from March 17th to March 25th].

Thanks
SUSOG

Last edited by a moderator:
SUSOG,
I think you missed reading my response to your question. Here it is:

A visa is not required if she is entering US BEFORE March 17th. If she is admitted into US by an immigration inspector, she is legal until the date authorized regardless of whether she has a visa or not. And a visa is not required if she is leaving US.

To nkm-oct23

I still didn't understood the meaning of * date authorized*. Please let me know have they started giving the I -94 without issueing a visa?

What do you mean by the date authorized because earlier they never used to give any dates, they just used to inspect you and that's it.

Originally posted by Ducktales
To nkm-oct23

I still didn't understood the meaning of * date authorized*. Please let me know have they started giving the I -94 without issueing a visa?

What do you mean by the date authorized because earlier they never used to give any dates, they just used to inspect you and that's it.

Your passport gets stamped with a ADMITTED UNTIL----- stamp.
I don't know if this a recent procedure.

If she is coming by road her passport might not get stamped but even if it does, nothing to worry about since she is coming just for a week. She can come in US before March 17th without visa and she will be perfectly legal to stay till the date authorized (if they give any date).

Thanks for your info.

Can someone let me know, when did the INS started stamping the passport with * date Authorized*?
They never did it before.
And secondly are they stamping the passports of all the people who are coming through commercial vehicles or who are just coming by air. How about rental cars?

She will be coming by Quick Coach which starts from Vancouver Airport via South Surrey to Seattle Airport. From Seattle she will come by plane.
Guys thanks for your replies.
Thanks

PLEASE POST YOUR EXPERIENCE

SUSOG

Please post your cousins experience if the INS stamped her passport with the "date authorised stay" and what questions did the INS ask......

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi Kishore,

Sorry for the delayed reply. When she passed the border from Canada to USA on March 14th, her passport was not stamped. She was only asked how long she will stay in US. She told 1 week.
Thats it.

Thanks
Susog

SUSOG

Thanks for your reply. I came to US in March First week and they did not stamp my passport, I have to stay in US till May, but I did not take any visiting visa when i crossed the border as visa rule was from march 17nth ... but as of now when I return to Canada will it be a problem for me at the border.....

Please post your cousins border experience after she returns to Canada...

Thanks once again

Hi Kishore,

She crossed the border from USA to Canada yesterday without any problem.

I have a quesion if anyone can answer.

I know visa fees for visiter visa for USA is $100. Is it one time visa or it is multiple entry and how long the visa is valid.

Thanks
SUSOG

Originally posted by SUSOG
Hi Kishore,

She crossed the border from USA to Canada yesterday without any problem.

I have a quesion if anyone can answer.

I know visa fees for visiter visa for USA is $100. Is it one time visa or it is multiple entry and how long the visa is valid.

Thanks
SUSOG

Visa fee is $100 regardless of single or multiple entries. Validity depends on the consular officer's decision and can be between 6 months and 10 years.