is TN considered visa sponsorship

dell11

I have been getting many queries from employers asking if i need visa sponsorship.

Is TN status considered visa sponsorship ?

Simply explain their role in the process: Providing you a TN letter, which YOU will then take to the border with YOUR documentation.

Thanks Nelsona - They usually just ask one question - Are you a US citizen or permanent resident?

If not that, do you need sponsorship?

if I am tell them that I can work on the trade agreement, they simply ghost me. They just want one word answer.

The answer better be US citizen or permanent resident or no I do not need sponsorship.

Last edited:
imo, "No".

"Sponsorship" implies some kind of financial guarantee or obligation to file paperwork.

A TN permit doesn't require the employer to be even aware you are applying for a TN (although it helps a lot). Let alone pay lawyers, file paperwork, or pay fees. (Unless they choose to for some reason).

In practical terms, employers care about 'sponsorship' for 3 reasons:

1. Costs
2. Quotas
3. Processing delays

None of those apply to TN applications done at the border.

imo, "No".

"Sponsorship" implies some kind of financial guarantee or obligation to file paperwork.

A TN permit doesn't require the employer to be even aware you are applying for a TN (although it helps a lot). Let alone pay lawyers, file paperwork, or pay fees. (Unless they choose to for some reason).

In practical terms, employers care about 'sponsorship' for 3 reasons:

1. Costs
2. Quotas
3. Processing delays

None of those apply to TN applications done at the border.
For sponsorship question, TN can answer no.

What about "Are you currently authorized to work in the US" or "Are you currently eligible to work in the US"?

Should it be:

a) "no" "no"
b) "no" "yes"
c) "yes" "yes"

I generally answer "yes" to both. Keep in mind you're applying for a job with a private company. This is a screening process so you want to avoid the pitfalls that will get you screened out prematurely. It's better to err on the side of "iffy" that increases your chances of going deep into the interview process.

At some point the recruiter will ask you your work authorization status, and that's the point where I explain I'm a Canadian citizen who has a TN work permit. They will either know what I'm talking about, or if they don't, then I can explain how I'm able to work for them once I have a signed job offer, and there's no delay or expense on their part.