Is this type of discrepancy between IO normal??

sicce

Registered Users (C)
One of my friend's applied for naturalization with his family. My friend, his mother and sister left the US in 2006 for 10 months. The reason for 10 months out was that the children (my friend was 17 at the time) had to finish off their high school year before permanently moving to the US, but his father remained behind in the US working, only my friend, his mother and sister left the US.

Now the three of them have spent same amount of time in and out of the US over the last five years.

Three members of the family (father, mother and sister) had their interviews in Florida, and were approved and have already taken their oaths.
My friend was interviewed in NY (he now works in NYC), and the officer claimed he didn't meet the residency requirements yet, and gave him a "decision cannot be made" letter. My friend mentioned that rest of his family had just been approved but the IO claimed that it was down to the individual officer.

Recently his status has changed to "Supervisor has completed his review....." When he called USCIS and spoke with 2nd level IO he was told the supervisor has sent the file back to the interviewing officer.

Any ideas as to what's going on, or why one USCIS region approves and the other questions the residency.

Thanks

One of my friend's applied for naturalization with his family. My friend, his mother and sister left the US in 2006 for 10 months. The reason for 10 months out was that the children (my friend was 17 at the time) had to finish off their high school year before permanently moving to the US, but his father remained behind in the US working, only my friend, his mother and sister left the US.

Now the three of them have spent same amount of time in and out of the US over the last five years.

Three members of the family (father, mother and sister) had their interviews in Florida, and were approved and have already taken their oaths.
My friend was interviewed in NY (he now works in NYC), and the officer claimed he didn't meet the residency requirements yet, and gave him a "decision cannot be made" letter. My friend mentioned that rest of his family had just been approved but the IO claimed that it was down to the individual officer.

Recently his status has changed to "Supervisor has completed his review....." When he called USCIS and spoke with 2nd level IO he was told the supervisor has sent the file back to the interviewing officer.

Any ideas as to what's going on, or why one USCIS region approves and the other questions the residency.

Thanks
Determination of residency ties for trips more than 6 months but less than 1 year is subjective, and based on the evidence presented. This means that one IO may approve a case and another may deny it based on the same evidence.

Last edited by a moderator: