Is This True?

frustrated_alot

Registered Users (C)
Okay, so i filed an I-130 for my husband. I contacted USCIS to see where my case is and they said to expect approval within the next four months. However, she said that i have to submit separate I-130's for my stepchildren. Is this true. Will my husband be able to bring his children with him once he gets the visa or do i have to file separately for them too. This sounds rediculous to me because they are minors. Don't they automatically travel with his visa if he gets it? :confused:

It's true that all dependants need to have their own I-130 filled for them. This is not the same as an H1 where they get dependant H4's and are always tied to that H1. In this case they will each get their own GC and they will be independant of each other - that's why they all have to have their own application.

But - since they are your stepchildren - according to USCIS they are your immediate relatives so you can file for them - providing they still fall under the category of children (unmarried and under 21, and other possible conditions...)

Immediate relatives of US citizens don't have derivative benefits. If the sponsored relative were not an immediate relative, then a separate petition would not be required for his/her children under 21 and spouse. You can also see this in the I-130 instructions, where several categories state that their children and spouse do not need a separate petition, and they all happen to be non-immediate relative (priority based) categories.

Please,...i have this question
I have a fiancee who is still in my country and i need to get her here as fast i can. If i,m a US citizen, which is faster to file for...the fiancee Visa or go home and marry her..later file for her as a wife.
Thanks as you respond .

Thank you all for your response. So, i found out that i do have to send separate I-130's for my stepchildren. Working on getting the paperwork together.

Please,...i have this question
I have a fiancee who is still in my country and i need to get her here as fast i can. If i,m a US citizen, which is faster to file for...the fiancee Visa or go home and marry her..later file for her as a wife.
Thanks as you respond .

K-1 fiance visa will be the quickest route. As long as you have proof that you have met within the past 2 years then you can file now.