Is this true that all people filed I-485 in 2002 would be cleared with in SEP-30'04

beech1996

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
Some body quoted in one of the threads that USCIS director gave a testimony to congress that at the end of FY 2004 , they are going to achieve 20 months cycle time of I-485. Does it mean all those I-485 filed in 2002 would be cleared by OCT'01 2004?.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, as indicated by JIT

The JIT is currently just over 25 months behind and closing in fast, asymptotically towards 20 months. FY2004 seems quite reasonable for that target.

But how did you conclude that this implies "all" 2002 cases will be approved?

yeah right!!!! count your lucky stars to be in that 25-30% case of the calendar month, whose cases are approved and the JIT moved beyond that month....

As per the CSC Liaison Meeting Summary for 12-15-2003,

Adjustment Applications (I-485)

These types of cases, as mentioned above, are not a priority at this time. The JIT Report Processing Date continues to reflect a December 16, 2001 date. It is expected that between now and April1 2004, the time line to adjudicate these types of cases will continue to be approximately two years. It is hoped that by the end of this fiscal year, i.e. September 30, 2004, the adjudication of these types of cases would be within six months of filing.

This promise (if you can call it one) from CSC Director is for the Congress or Senate whoever requires such false promises.

In reality as you can see from the various voluntary postings only 5% - 20% of cases filed each month are getting some movement like approval, RFE, 2nd FP and whatever else possible while a host of others are still languishing with hope that some day the light will be seen on the horizon.

If you are lucky count your blessings to be in the 5% - 20% range of each month's case to get some form of movement.

What was mentioned by CSC Director is definitely not "carved in stone". He trying to cover himself and safegaurd his job and make it all look nice and smooth superficially. At the rate at which things are moving he can always claim the 20 month or even lesser time limit as mentioned by some friends above and look nice and smart in the eyes of congress and other authorities CSC director is answerable to.

Hence do not definitely beleive in what is being promised is my humble opinion.

As I remember seeing, Don Neufeld's letter to Feinstein didn't even use the word "promise"; he said "the goal is to ....". So this should be considered a weak statement. Politicians chose words carefully you see.

My guess is that JIT date is somewhat a date "averaged" over all cases. There are a lot of old 25+ months cases that's impossible to clear in such short amount of time. But with the pilot porgrams and Ohata memo initiatives, they will be adjudicating a lot of newer cases, say, 15 month or less cases. Therefore, the average waiting time will be 20 months. Looks good on paper.

But this is just my guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
jkuo44 said:
As I remember seeing, Don Neufeld's letter to Feinstein didn't even use the word "promise"; he said "the goal is to ....". So this should be considered a weak statement. Politicians shose words carefully you see.

My guess is that JIT date is somewhat a date "averaged" over all cases. There are a lot of old 25+ months cases that's impossible to clear in such short amount of time. But with the pilot porgrams and Ohata memo initiatives, they will be adjudicating a lot of newer cases, say, 15 month or less cases. Therefore, the average waiting time will be 20 months. Looks good on paper.

But this is just my guess.

A pretty good one, I would say. Your guess definitely makes a lot of sense.

I would say expect a lot of approvals, but approvals for EVERYONE who applied in 02, is a little too much. Plus fiscal year end in September. So when they say 02 applicants they are talking only of people who applied before Oct 1st, 2002.

But if this stream of approvals does not abate, you can expect good things in 2005. Here is to the glass half full.