Is this the End ?. Can I change my job now ?.

ramsun

Registered Users (C)
Yester day I went to Seattle INS office with my I-485 approval courtesy copy for stampping.

With out any problem I got my stampping done. It reads like
"PROCESED FOR I-551.
TEMPORARY EVIDENCE OF
LAWFUL ADMISSION FOR
PERMANENT RESIDENCE
VALID UNTIL ________
EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED
E26
DOE:*******
A********
SEA__________ IN IIO
I-485 APPROVED"

So the question is Can I change my Employer now ?.

No Title

My lawyer informed me that you should not change employers immediately after getting your green card since it may appear that you acquired your permanent residency fraudulently. If you leave your employer within 6 months of getting your green card then the onous is on you to prove that you did not get your green card fraudulently. If you leave after the 6 months, then is up to the INS to prove it.

No Title

Hi Guys/Gals, let\'s chat when and what circumstances can you change job! Ironically, no one seems to tell that this is the way you got to do after GC approval. But, when you continue to work there for 6 mos or so what do you have to meet the req\'s of GC.
Let\'s say..
1) If the salary raises since you applied GC, so do you have to go back to the pay showing on offer letter or is that O.K. to continue to get high pay?
2) What about if someone wants to take a long vacation, may be more than the vacation days you have by taking some time off. So, if you take a vacation and not getting paid for few weeks is O.K.?
3) ALL what you need is what? Pay checks with salary and what else?

If you guys can share/pour some ideas specific to something like above, perhaps this discussion may be interesting. What do you say?

No Title

Ramsun,

Your previous posting stated you lost you original I-94. A friend of my has similar situation. He found that he misplaced his I-94. Can you share the conversation about I-94 when you went to stamp? Or they did not ask for your I-94 at all?

We appreciate your sharing.

No Title

Yes IIO will ask for I-94.
Just tell them the fact, which would be "I lost my I-94".
It should not be any problem.

I did exactly as I advised and I did my stamping with out any problem
Good luck.

No Title

TAOTAO,
Please discuss on the main idea of this discussion. I don\'t understand, people talk irrelevent topics in the discussions (I don\'t mean irrelevant to your case, but irrelevant to this discussion, hope u understand and I don\'t mean to be hard here). Why each discussion has subject, let\'s focus on the subject only. Otherwise, no body can get right answers that they are looking for.

So, please discuss about what is the next aabout changing employment? I appreciate anyone\'s input!

No Title

If you can change employers after 180 days of applying 485, then what is wrong with people changing jobs after passport-stamping.

I don\'t see that as a problem.

Also, initially the whole GC process used to take between 1 - 1 1/2 years that is not a long time. And a employee could work on the same project/ classified job - same position for that amount of time. But these days it takes anywhere between 3-5 years to get GC.

How can an employee keep working on the same project/classified job for 3-5years. Most of the H1B holders applying for GC work in the IT area. And in the last 5 years itself, programming languages used then has been obselete today. So how can an employee be working in the "same or similar classified job".

Also isn\'t it logical to think that, if an employee loves to work on a special project and does a great job that he needs to get recognition in terms of both "salary" and "title".

Will the employees or IIO\'d for INS if they are told that their salary and title is going to remain the same say for 5 years unless they are least bothered about what they for living.

No Title

In fact I am joining Micro soft.

Micro soft legal WARNED me before my I-485 was approved that INS has not published 180 day regulation, so if there are any surprises they may have to do every thing from the beginning, however upon learning my I-485 approval they say I am "Okay".

No Title

Hi Castle Rock, I do agree that you have logical reasoning based on facts. Like Samrun was saying, the 180-day regulation has not yet been set in place, so how could anyone assume that anyone can change jobs after 180 days, and so immediately after approval. If I see the postings here, most of the people are taking chances on their own. Again, I am not saying that it is a risk, there may be some ristrictions once INS implement that regulation.
It makes sense what all you described, but we need to worry about what\'s going to happen in the real world of these regulations.
But, if you hear anything more, please keep posting on it. Thanks for participating in this discussion, pl. continue to share your thoughts.

No Title

RB2000, what I don\'t understand is "Same or Similar Job Category"...

Do you know what it is?

1. Does it mean "Any kind of job" within the same salary range.
                           OR
2. Does it mean "Holding same title"
                           OR
3. Something totally different than the above two.

Where can I get my classification number from; and where I see what kind of jobs are within this classification.

Myladoor, can you give me some pointers if there is any website regarding this.

No Title

Castle Rock,
I don\'t know more than you do. But, I know one of friends is keeping her fingers crossed and hoping for the best once regulations are in place. But, I think that it is far better and safter to stick to similar (means same area and salary) job atleast for a while, then you are free bird anyway.
Please post with any findings, thanks!

No Title

nirvana1, can you elaborate about what circumstances did they change job? It will help lot of readers to understand whoever is looking to make a move in their career.
Thanks in advance.

No Title

I feel it is the same old statement AC21, nothing new other than it is official now.

Questions regarding same or similar category; geographical area ... still needs to be clarified.