Is this going to be a problem?

newbie001

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,

I will be eligible to apply for N-400 soon. I have an important question/situation.

While my GC was pending (I was waiting to file I-485), my then girl friend came to US on H1-B visa. But as soon as she reached, her company told her they will pay only bench pay (not full pay) until she gets a contract. By that time, my I-485 was current. Then, I married her here in U.S. and filed for I-485. A month after that she got EAD and quit the company. It took about 3 months before she found a contracting job with some other company.

We got our green card about 7 months later.

Is this situation going to be a problem for her during her citizenship process?
Please advice.

Thanks,
Newbie.

Yes and no. Technically they are only worried only about time after Green card and since she was just a beneficiary she will scrutinised less.

99% your wife will not have any problems, if she does get questioned she needs to be truthful. donot lie about it.

She arrived legally and in good faith though was going to be taking up employment with her sponsoring company, then circumstances changed. Sounds fine to me.

Thanks for your replies.
My worry is all these happened right around the time I got I-485 current.
I had to marry her and file for I-485 within 2 months after she reached here. At the time we applied, she was still an employee of her original sponsor. As soon as we got EAD, she quit and it took some months before she started working again.

Thanks,
Newbie001.

No worries

newbie001 said:
Thanks for your replies.
My worry is all these happened right around the time I got I-485 current.
I had to marry her and file for I-485 within 2 months after she reached here. At the time we applied, she was still an employee of her original sponsor. As soon as we got EAD, she quit and it took some months before she started working again.

Thanks,
Newbie001.

Newbie, :rolleyes:

You and wife should be fine. H1 B visa is a dual intent visa, because after holding it for a particular period, one can apply for green card. ;)

As such, when she wasn't working, she wasn't in violation of any immigration law. He filling of I-485 made her status as that of an immigrant.

So, just send the application and wish you success...... just relax.... ;)