Is this a strange problem ?

xui

Me and my wife got ead .... so i went to get my wife\'s Social security number but the lady at ssn office saw her eAD card and entered into the system and said "your wife was not cleared by INS as per our system ...so I have to send it to INS for verification. She took copies of passports and EAD too. IS this normal ? Is it possible ssn office database was not updated , we got our EAD cards 90 days before .... Or are we heading into some kind of trouble ?

I got my wife\'s H4 extension (after changing from company A to B ) but did not get it stamped though i got it stamped as I had to travel to different countries... is that going to create some problem ? Any comments highly appreciated.

This procedure is normal now

And I\'m not sure if this was the procedure before. The fact: the SSA has to verify with the INS that your documents are ok. I applied for my SS card on march 04 and this week I went to my local SSA office to ask about it. They have not received INS confirmation.

I understand processing time easily could reach 2 months, but you could send a letter to the INS explaining your problem.

This was not the case last year

We applied for SS card for my wife, last Feb (2001). and the person simply checked all the docs and gave us a receipt and we got the SS card in two weeks.

I am still sceptical ....... I think I unecessarily went for ssn i could have waited for some

time ....

Don\'t worry too much. I had the same problem last week

and i was told that they need to veriy with INS regarding my wife\'s EAD and they should able to tell us within a month (or 6-8 weeks). Also i was told by an officer this is a routine checkup and i don\'t have to worry about it.

Vinayak is right, don\'t worry much.

I had my wife done with SSN last month. In some big places, SSA office will be having access to INS database, so they will immediately check into the INS records and then start processing the SSN application. In those cases, you will get it in 2 weeks. Most of the places they will take copies of Passport, EAD and send to local INS for the confirmation. Upon confirmed with INS, they start working on your application. Thats what happened to my wife\'s case and she got the SSN in 4 weeks. So don\'t worry too much on this, just sit and wait ..