Is there anything I can do while waiting for the DREAM act?

muhuwahaha

I am a 20 year old college student who is in desperate need for papers in order to continue my education.

Due to my legal status, I cannot get a student loan, a job, or in-state tuition for college. I can't even get a driver's license :mad: My parents aren't able to finance my out-of-state tuition anymore.

Today marks my 10th year anniversary of residing in this country (illegally)

My mother has a process in immigration for papers through a relative, but it is taking too long and I am sick of the waiting.

Any recommendations?

People cannot respond because nothing can be done for people in your circumstances (unless and until Congress acts). If this is any consolation, there are many people in situation and you are not alone.

I wish you the best of luck.

What is DREAM act? if even you complete the education how will you get a job? What is your area of study. All high tech employers will ask for valid visa status. Is it possible to go back to your home country, complete education and come back on a legal H1B visa? that may be easier? Are you from Mexico?

Well, it depends on your circumstances. If you came here illegally, then pretty much the only way for you to fix your status is by getting married to a citizen/permanent resident or waiting for immigration reform. If you came here legally, but have since fallen out of status, then you can be petitioned by another relative--which is what I guess your mom intends to do. Unfortunately, that's all you can do legalizaton-wise or the moment.

Which isn't to say you can't DO anything. Look up a pro-dream act group in your area and join them to help lobby for the DA. Nothing will happen if everybody just "waits" for the dream act. If you need help going to school, click on the Dream Act Portal link in my signature--a lot of people there are in the situation you're in, and can give you advicxe on how to continue with your studies.

I feel like I am on the same boat. Me and my family came here legally with a visitor's visa. My dad filed for asylum but it was denied. We were granted WOR which means we can stay in the country as long as we appeal our case. But I am graduating from college too and our lawyers have given us poor advice from the beginning. They did not even tell my parents that we could apply for EAD even after we lose our asylum case. I just emailed them yesterday if I could apply for EAD so I can work. So far they haven't answered.

Is there anyway for me to become a legal resident aside from marrying someone?