Is there an interview for N-600 (minor child of citizen parent)

yalag

Registered Users (C)
I am planning to apply for N-600 for my minor children. They were naturalized through the Child citizenship Act of 2001.
Will they or the citizen parent have to appear for the interview?

I know for sure that my family will nt be in the US when the N-600 will be processed.

If anyone has had the same experience please tell me if s/he had to appear for the interview and if s/he had to bring her/his kids with him too.

Thank you

Person I know , applied N-600 for his minor child sometime ago and now he has got Notice of Action which asks him to appear with child at the INS office for "interview".
As I undersatnd, the date given to him ( or them ) is not suitable as the child is away from USA during that time. The letter says if it is not possible to keep the appintment date he should inform them. He is requesting a new date.
But , the USC parent and the child MUST appear in person befor the officer for interview.
What they will ask for such interview ? I have no idea.
My understanding is they just make sure about your USC natz certi., the child's biological or adoptive relationship with parent, child's GC validity, and finally , that child had made entry into USA as LPR and parent and child are both physically present in US .
If ypou have any idea as to what they can ask in such interview, do let us all know.

It is better to apply for child's US passport instead of cert of naturalization. Passport is easier to get and replace and you deal with a much more efficient arm of the government. Also your child will need a passport for travel anyway.
Child's nat cert is NOT required to apply for a passport, just submit parent's proof of citizenship and proof of relationship.

nkm-oct23 said:
It is better to apply for child's US passport instead of cert of naturalization. Passport is easier to get and replace and you deal with a much more efficient arm of the government. Also your child will need a passport for travel anyway.
Child's nat cert is NOT required to apply for a passport, just submit parent's proof of citizenship and proof of relationship.
What about 30 or 40 years from now? Your child eventually will have to have this certificate.

GeneM said:
What about 30 or 40 years from now? Your child eventually will have to have this certificate.

One should definitly apply for "Cert. of Citizenship". And yes Children has to to appear before an immigration officer at the time of N-600 processing. There is no formal interview (history, english etc.) but they do need to sign the Certificate.

nkm-oct23 said:

Citizen Certi. thru N-600 and US passport are both independent of each other. I do agree that one must have a Passpot which is needed for travel.
But Citizen Certi . is in away THE FINAL ( OR ULTIMATE ) DOCUMENT ,
and one is best advised to have it as the same can be available with ease!
In this Forum we know how much effort each one is putting to get the Natz. Cert. for himself. With little additional effort , why not a Citizen Certi for the Child?
I would say why only passport? One day when the child in future may ask the parent why did you not apply for my citizen certi? Off course one can say that you can do it yourself now!

N-600

I have filed N-600 application for my children last August, but have not received a letter for interview (I was hoping that there won't be one). How far in advance would this notice come? It's taking so long :confused:
Does the interview requirement depend on the age of the child - maybe there is no interview for small children?
Thanks for any help!

Generally there will be an interview. But that is very simple and informal. If the child is less than 14 years, parent signs the naturalization certificate? Otherwise the child signs. Recently we had an interview for my son. It was over in 5 mts and the certificate was given after 30 mts. We applied in May 2004

Radni said:
Citizen Certi. thru N-600 and US passport are both independent of each other. I do agree that one must have a Passpot which is needed for travel.
But Citizen Certi . is in away THE FINAL ( OR ULTIMATE ) DOCUMENT ,
and one is best advised to have it as the same can be available with ease!
In this Forum we know how much effort each one is putting to get the Natz. Cert. for himself. With little additional effort , why not a Citizen Certi for the Child?
I would say why only passport? One day when the child in future may ask the parent why did you not apply for my citizen certi? Off course one can say that you can do it yourself now!

I saw on this forum comparison between n-600 and passport.
n-600
1. won't expire
2. Official INS document
3. expensive
4. takes about 1 year
5. Can't be used for travel outside north america

Passport:
1. easy to get
2. less expensive
3. needs renewal
4. Can travel any where in the world

I got both for my son

chanakya101 said:
Generally there will be an interview. But that is very simple and informal. If the child is less than 14 years, parent signs the naturalization certificate? Otherwise the child signs. Recently we had an interview for my son. It was over in 5 mts and the certificate was given after 30 mts. We applied in May 2004
Can you please give some more details of this interview? You may be the first one to report on this forum an interview of N-600! So please share your experience for benifit of all.

1. what DO did you file?
2. What documents they checked at the interview?
3. Did they ask you or checked your passports etc . for 5 year
physical presence in US ? ( Personally I think that is not a
requirement for N-600!)
4. Did they ask any questions to the child?

Last edited by a moderator:
Radni said:
Can you please give some more details of this interview? You may be the first one to report on this forum an interview of N-600! So please share your experience for benifit of all.

1. what DO did you file?
3. Did they ask you or checked your passports etc . for 5 year
physical presence in US ? ( Personally I think that is not a
requirement for N-600!)
4. Did they ask any questions to the child?

1. what DO did you file?
Newark NJ

They wanted the following: (original and one copy)
1. Green card
2. Picture Id (passport will do)
3. Parents' marriage certificate
4. Parents naturalization certificate(s)
5. Birth certificate
6. 2 passport style photos
3. Did they ask you or checked your passports etc. . for 5 year physical presence in US ? ( Personally I think that is not a requirement for N-600!)
We became citizens (including my son) last year. This is just to get the certificate. He did not looked at the
details in the passport

4. Did they ask any questions to the child?[/QUOTE]
Very simple like name, you need to sign including your middle name, Are you married (any children) :)
Which class you are studying etc.

The officer is very nice, very friendly and the best experience we had with INS officers
(others were also fine but they are more serious).

I think N-600 is treated as an easier or lighter case.

Originally we have sent the standard (old) INS style photos. They wanted passport style
photos now.

He checked the Old passport to see how small my son was in his first passport (when he was 3)

chanakya101,
Thanks a lot for the details posted on N-600 interview experience.
I am sure this will benifit others in this forum concerned with N-600 and N-K600. I do not recall there is any other post on this forum that gives such details.
Thanks

chanakya101 said:
I saw on this forum comparison between n-600 and passport.
n-600
1. won't expire
2. Official INS document
3. expensive
4. takes about 1 year
5. Can't be used for travel outside north america

Passport:
1. easy to get
2. less expensive
3. needs renewal
4. Can travel any where in the world

I got both for my son
I'm planning to get the passport for my son (who is a LPR) using the "Child Citizenship Act" ...

I want to know about the experience you had getting the passport for your son.

Do they need to KEEP my son's documents (passport with I-551, GC, birth certificate) or is enough for them to SEE them (or photocopies)?

I don't like the idea to give them my son's documents, since they were very difficult to get and I don't want to loose them!!

Regards,

Maribel.

One more item to consider:
When applying for any immigration benefits - you can either provide a copy of the N-600 or all pages of the US Passport (this seems to be the trend if you use the Passport for citizenship verification for Immigration benefits)

It is worth applying for both documents (N-600 & US passport)