• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Is there an appeal after the visa refusal?

Makforex

Registered Users (C)
Dear house, i want to ask is there any appeal for visa refusal like in case of non immigrant visa?

what was the outcome of your interview MAKFOREX? Hope it was successful. Please update the house.

Our interview was not successful but i thank all the house for their assistance during the processing time.the co asked my wife so many questions which she was answered correctly until he asked her to tell him what subject she did in agric science practical her neco gce which she told him she couldn't remember and he just brought out the refusal letter that base on her education and working experience she is not qualify to participate in dv visa lottery.my advice to any married winner is that they should only do the process for the winner and if the visa is granted, they can go further to apply for rest of the family because the money i lost in the process in close to N900k. Of which if i allowed only my wife to be interviewed and we were denial then it won't cost me more than 25% of the money because we are 4 people. Thank you all.

Thanks bro! All our documents are all original but because she couldn't answer 1 question out of 8 questions he asked that was y he denial us the visa.

M sorry

Thanks bro! All our documents are all original but because she couldn't answer 1 question out of 8 questions he asked that was y he denial us the visa.

I TRULY did go through high school, but not sure I can even remember what was covered in some subjects! It's been a while! Am sorry, but at times I feel that they already have made a decision before you get there, and the interview is just a formality...just a feeling. Some people are asked for nothing, while others are asked for all the documents listed, and a simple error is a reason for denial. I think they review waaaaay before so my brother...it might have had nothing to do with how your wife answered. The CO him/herself might not remember what they did in High School either, and that is common. If one is doing PhD, how does that person remember what they covered in High School physics (unless they applied it in latter learning).

Just my opinion: It might have had NOTHING to do with the questions asked to your wife...seriously! Otherwise CO would have said that you failed in this or that question...instead CO said that the education and work experience does not qualify her. The questions were just a formality...again just my opinion.

All in all - am sorry that you had to have this roller coaster...!

We have made several visits to the Consulate in Lagos before getting our visa and have seen the negative effects of bankrupting your future on the hope of coming to the US. One family had borrowed from people and sold all they owned to pay for the interview and tickets and the wife was in a faint from dispair over the denial. My husbands last interview I was waiting outside in the rental chairs and a young man threw himself at my feet in tears because he had been rejected ( I am white so I stood out as an American in the group ) I could watch the couple leaving and without ever seeing the paper they carried you could see the results of the interviews. There were as many that cried as through they were at a funeral as there were those that were rejoicing.

Thought about this...

I thought about this denial again, and remembered that the educational qualification of the derivative does not determine anything. Only the education/work experience for the principal applicant matters in DV cases, so once again this denial in my opinion had nothing to do with this poor wife taking all the blame!

Why are people rejected? I mean, if someone would write things down that cause person to become rejected, then people would be in better position to estimate whether to go to interview or not. Roughly >50% of DV winners are rejected. Yet no one writes why.
Kunato - not just DV pple get rejected...also others. Even with all that u need the Consulate can decide just not to give u...for no good reason. Once they denied my mom telling her that she was lying n disguised herself as an over 50 yrs old woman, but they can clearly see that she is in her 30s! My oldest brother then was in his late 30s! She tried to tell them that she had a kid that age but they wouldn't believe it. I think they have a daily quota for each category n once expired they will deny everyone else. I mean the non-immigrant visas.

I thought about this denial again, and remembered that the educational qualification of the derivative does not determine anything. Only the education/work experience for the principal applicant matters in DV cases, so once again this denial in my opinion had nothing to do with this poor wife taking all the blame!

Kunato - not just DV pple get rejected...also others. Even with all that u need the Consulate can decide just not to give u...for no good reason. Once they denied my mom telling her that she was lying n disguised herself as an over 50 yrs old woman, but they can clearly see that she is in her 30s! My oldest brother then was in his late 30s! She tried to tell them that she had a kid that age but they wouldn't believe it. I think they have a daily quota for each category n once expired they will deny everyone else. I mean the non-immigrant visas.

Guys the chances of selectees with higher qualifications getting a GC visa i.e HND,BSc,MSc,PhD is 75% while the chances of selectees with low qualifications getting a GC visa i.e O/level or vacational degr is 60%.Americans citizens are complaining about the low numbers of uneducated people with less degree and unskilled applicants coming to the US through GC.So i wouldnt be surprise to see so many people getting denied visa.Maybe they did not pass or qualified for the interview or failed medical test or even failed to answer some specific question or perhaps incorrect/falsified documents.Selectees with higher qualification can as well get a visa without much stress,just to answer some question of your final year project topic and supervisor or questions from your IT training than selectees with O/level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diploma

Well, that's partly true. The minimum educational requirement for DV visa is completed 12 yrs of education. If a person has ONLY that, then they have only ONE diploma, the authenticity of which would need to be verified. If a person has PhD, that person has in addition to high school diploma, bachelors diploma, masters and then PhD. To falsify that many documents is very difficult. In Africa, the problem is that many individuals have only highschool education and consuls have to determine whether that ONE SINGLE document is authentic or not. In some European and Asian countries, "diploma" fraud is also possible.

The recommendation to increase educational requirements for DV visa is based on the fact that it is much harder to falsify higher education degrees than lower education degrees.

There is no 60% or 75% likelihood that person will get DV visa based on education. There is only 0% and 100%. You either have the minimum required education or you don't. You don't get "partial" percentages for having "partially" completed your school. NOW,...the authenticity of the diploma will impact the likelihood, especially in countries such as Nigeria, Sudan, Ethiopia...etc...It's is far less likely to influence likelihood in countries such as Austria, UK, Germany, Canada or US, where consul can easily confirm authenticity of diploma by calling school's registrars office.

This is precisely the level of disinformation that is circling around and causing confusion.

Wikipedia is also flawed. It states that a DV winner has ~50% chances of getting GC. This is absolute non-sense and the person who wrote this clearly didn't master basic statistics.

Of all winners, there are those who are 100% eligible (100% probability to get GC), then those who are 0% eligible (0% probability to get GC), then those who abandon their application (0% probability to get GC), then those whose date doesn't become current (0% probability to get GC)...and some moron summed all winners and divided by number of people who are issued DV visa, and ended up with 50% probability for each applicant...consequently, people with 0% chances think they have 50% chance and apply, and then get rejected, and then wonder why.

You must be ABSOLUTELY certain that you meet basic but strict requirements before moving on with your DV case. Otherwise, you are just wasting your time and money. You do NOT get points or percentages for the number of year you went to elementary or high school. you either pass or you fail.

Great information Kunato! However, I've read somewhere on another forum that a DV entrant was denied visa because his grades were low. Apparently, he only had a High School Diploma (which is the minimum requirement). Why would the CO ask to see his HS transcript if the HS diploma alone is sufficient?

Great information Kunato! However, I've read somewhere on another forum that a DV entrant was denied visa because his grades were low. Apparently, he only had a High School Diploma (which is the minimum requirement). Why would the CO ask to see his HS transcript if the HS diploma alone is sufficient?

@win dv,it is good to have you back on forum?well @kunato nice one,but remember that even though if all documents are intact we still easily see/hear of applicant with high school degree being denied easily based on the questions/interviews than applicant with high level degree.The Questions/interviews of high school degree is/are different from applicant with high level degree although individuals of applicant at the interviews matters but categorically i can tell you that applicant with high level degree has better chances of getting a visa than applicant with high school degree.If you doubt me you can go through all the threads either in this forum or other forums and see what am saying.Check every applicants status that got their visa and you will noticed this even though you claim to say that all selectees has the same chances of getting a visa,my bro that statement is wrong?do you think americans does not want applicants with high level degree even if DOS tells you that the minimum requirement for DV programs is high school degree?especially now that americans are talking of applicants coming to the US through winning of DV/GC are of low degree.You probably think that DOS does not know what they are doing?i am not saying that applicant with high school degree cannot get a visa through DV?all am saying is the chances are not comparable to applicant with high level degree.Pls go through all the threads and see the numbers applicants with high level degree that got there visas and compare them to the numbers of those with high school degree.

Interesting...

Well, that's partly true. The minimum educational requirement for DV visa is completed 12 yrs of education. If a person has ONLY that, then they have only ONE diploma, the authenticity of which would need to be verified. If a person has PhD, that person has in addition to high school diploma, bachelors diploma, masters and then PhD. To falsify that many documents is very difficult. In Africa, the problem is that many individuals have only highschool education and consuls have to determine whether that ONE SINGLE document is authentic or not. In some European and Asian countries, "diploma" fraud is also possible.

NOW,...the authenticity of the diploma will impact the likelihood, especially in countries such as Nigeria, Sudan, Ethiopia...etc...It's is far less likely to influence...

Not sure ur aware that Africa has more countries than the three above...almost 50 more and both South Africa and East Africa regions has barely any adult without college education. So generalizing that many Africans only have high school diploma is naive. There is more to Africa that what is shown in the media...or you meant " ...problem in some African countries ..." doesn't matter.

Authenticity is easily verifiable...at least in the strong more developed parts like east and south Africa, and I wouldn't comment about "your Africa" on authenticity but only because I read that about 80% or more of DV entries from Nigeria and Cameroon etc are fraudulent... And elsewhere that these are the most corrupt nations etc - u may hold a trace of hearsay accuracy. But it's still hard to believe that there is no way to contact the examination board or school to verify in 2012!

In African nations, no one gets a decent job without a college degree...some countries outside Africa hire secretaries and receptionists without a degree but not in east or south Africa. I believe even in the US u can find a job as a secretary with only a high school diploma, and within 10 years of experience can be manager just with a high school diploma. Experience holds more value than academics. Not in the Africa I know...East n South. Academics are very well received.

Not sure ur aware that Africa has more countries than the three above...almost 50 more and both South Africa and East Africa regions has barely any adult without college education. So generalizing that many Africans only have high school diploma is naive. There is more to Africa that what is shown in the media...or you meant " ...problem in some African countries ..." doesn't matter.

Authenticity is easily verifiable...at least in the strong more developed parts like east and south Africa, and I wouldn't comment about "your Africa" on authenticity but only because I read that about 80% or more of DV entries from Nigeria and Cameroon etc are fraudulent... And elsewhere that these are the most corrupt nations etc - u may hold a trace of hearsay accuracy. But it's still hard to believe that there is no way to contact the examination board or school to verify in 2012!

In African nations, no one gets a decent job without a college degree...some countries outside Africa hire secretaries and receptionists without a degree but not in east or south Africa. I believe even in the US u can find a job as a secretary with only a high school diploma, and within 10 years of experience can be manager just with a high school diploma. Experience holds more value than academics. Not in the Africa I know...East n South. Academics are very well received.

Here are US government reports on Nigeria's, Sudan's and Ethipia's educational system and literacy rate as well as UNESCO reports and Deutsche Welle article.

According to reports, in Nigeria, Sudan and Ethipia, only 10-20% of eligible pupils people are enrolled in high schools.

Here is report from Deutsche Welle about Africa's educational reform:
http://www.dw.de/dw/article/0,,5277312,00.htmlaccessdate=27

Here is report from UNESCO about education in sub-Saharan region:
http://www.unesco.org/education/efa_report/zoom_regions_pdf/ssafrica.pdf

Nigeria
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/frd/cs/profiles/Nigeria.pdf
On page 9

"Education and Literacy: In 2004 Nigeria’s adult literacy rate was 69.1 percent on average, with
a higher rate for men (78.2 percent) than for women (60.1 percent). Nigeria provides free,
government-supported education, but attendance is not compulsory at any level, and certain
groups, such as nomads and the handicapped, are underserved. The education system consists of
six years of primary school, three years of junior secondary school, three years of senior
secondary school, and four years of university education leading to a bachelor’s degree. In 2005
59 percent of girls and 68 percent of boys were enrolled in primary school. However, only 23
percent of girls and 28 percent of boys were enrolled in secondary school
. In 2004 the Nigerian
National Planning Commission described the country’s education system as “dysfunctional.”
Reasons for this characterization included decaying institutions and ill-prepared graduates."

Sudan
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/frd/cs/profiles/Sudan.pdf
page 5-6

"Education and Literacy: Education is free and compulsory for children aged 6 to 13 years.
Primary education consists of six years, followed by three years of middle school and three year
of secondary or technical instruction. The primary language at all levels is Arabic. Schools are
concentrated in urban areas; many in the South and West have been damaged or destroyed by
conflict. In 2001 the World Bank estimated that primary enrollment was 46 percent of eligible
pupils and 21 percent of secondary students. Enrollment varies widely, falling below 20 percent
in some provinces.
Sudan has 19 universities; instruction is primarily in Arabic. Education at the
secondary and university levels has been seriously hampered by the requirement that most males
perform military service before completing their education."

Ethiopia
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/frd/cs/profiles/Ethiopia.pdf
page: 7-8

"
Education and Literacy: Education is free from primary through university level and is
compulsory on the primary level for pupils between the ages of seven and 13 years of age.
Thereafter, further education is a question of access to facilities; whereas a profusion of primary
schools are scattered across the countryside, secondary facilities are found only in larger urban
areas. Consequently, enrollments decline drastically from the primary to the secondary level, and
secondary facilities are severely overtaxed
. The Education and Training Policy implemented in
1994 restructured the education system with the goal of improving the quality of education,
although results have been mixed. Primary education, grades 1–6, begins at seven years of age;
secondary education, grades 7–12, at age 15. After tenth grade, students are separated into
university-bound candidates, who receive concentrated academic instruction, and those who
receive commercial, polytechnic, teacher, or other professional training. According to United
Nations estimates for 2000–2001, 47 percent of children in the appropriate age-group attended
primary school.
Attendance among girls, at 41 percent, lagged significantly behind boys, at 53
percent. At the secondary level, only 13 percent of children in the appropriate age-group attended
(15 percent of boys, 10 percent of girls).
The main university campus is Addis Ababa University.
Universities also are found in five regional state capitals. In recent years, a number of private
schools have sprung up to meet the demand for university-level instruction, especially in Addis
Ababa. In 2001, according to the World Bank, education spending was equivalent to 4.8 percent
of gross domestic product. In 2002 the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural
Organization (UNESCO) estimated that only 41.5 percent of adults (49.2 percent male, 33.8
percent female) in Ethiopia were literate

Last edited by a moderator: