Is there a way for a post-doc to apply under EB1-OR category?

sreesreesree

Hi, I am new to the immigration forums. I read as many threads as possible on EB1-OR topic. To my understanding some of the successful applicants were post-doctoral researchers and sponsored by their university. I wonder how they could make this possible, because post-doc postions are considered ‘not permanent’. Is there a way to get around with the title or present the case in a different manner, if the professor is interested in asking the department/university to sponsor? It would be very helpful to hear some comments. Thanks much.

I think you need to change jobs, eg, get something like a 'research associate" position instead of being a postdoc

Hi, I am new to the immigration forums. I read as many threads as possible on EB1-OR topic. To my understanding some of the successful applicants were post-doctoral researchers and sponsored by their university. I wonder how they could make this possible, because post-doc postions are considered ‘not permanent’. Is there a way to get around with the title or present the case in a different manner, if the professor is interested in asking the department/university to sponsor? It would be very helpful to hear some comments. Thanks much.

I don't think you can apply for EB1-OR as a postdoc, basically for the reasons you mention. An EB1-OR application needs to be sponsored by the employer and hence the position in question needs to be, at least in some sense, considered permanent or indefinite. I have not heard of any postdocs applying under EB1-OR, but I know a few who used EB1-EA (which does not require employer sponsorship or even a job offer).

I think you need to change jobs, eg, get something like a 'research associate" position instead of being a postdoc

Where I work, at least, postdocs are called "research associates", officially. I think "postdoc" is just an informal term for the same thing.

I think you can as long as Universiy can show that it can pay you salary for 3 years and are willing to sponsor you.