Is there a relationship between GC and Passport?

wik

Registered Users (C)
I have an interesting situation and am wondering if anyone has the answer.

I am a dual citizen (Canada and United Kingdom). I have maintained passports for both countries. I have my GC.

When I applied for my Green Card, I did so with my Canadian Passport details, and everytime I have entered the USA, I have done so with my Canadian Passport. It was about to expire, so I sent off to Canada to get it renewed which won't happen until at least mid-January.

Now, I found out that I have to go on a business trip to Zurich and Berlin in mid to late January. I may not have my Canadian Paspport back in time, so I would have to do the whole trip on my GB Passport (which is fine for entering Europe, obviously, but I normally re-enter the USA on my Canadian Passport).

Will there be any issues on returning to SFO if I re-enter on my UK Passport? My GC says Country of Birth = Canada. Duration of business trip is six days.

Thanks, wik.

Especially political asylees cannot have thier passport renewed and hence any travel outside is based on GC and rentry permit ( to replace passport)

What about change of citizenship?

What if you change your citizenship since you got your GC? Example is when you got your GC, you are a citizen of say, Sri Lanka. Then within a few months of getting your GC, you change citizenship to say, Canada (due to perm res. there prior to your GC). The GC would have Sri Lanka as your citizenship. Does the card need to be updated to show that Canada is your new citizenship?

Thanks.
B.

budmiller75 said:
What if you change your citizenship since you got your GC? Example is when you got your GC, you are a citizen of say, Sri Lanka. Then within a few months of getting your GC, you change citizenship to say, Canada (due to perm res. there prior to your GC). The GC would have Sri Lanka as your citizenship. Does the card need to be updated to show that Canada is your new citizenship?

In green card (and LPR status) what matters is country of birth. Current citizenship is not important.

pralay said:
In green card (and LPR status) what matters is country of birth. Current citizenship is not important.
Inaddition, subsequent to USGC-any acquisition of residency/citizenship of some other country is to be carefully weighed/ pursued, as this will be viewed adversley, when other ties are not very strong to US and questioned at POE while returning after a long trip from abroad....

GC Card does not stay CoC, it says only CoB. In my understanding, acquiring citizenship of any other other country does not affect GC application or status. You could have acquired CoC of another country by virtue of marrying that countries citizens. Being a citizen of some country does not mean being a resident. However acquiring a Resident for another country may cause to affect your GC approval or status.

rpranesh said:
GC Card does not stay CoC, it says only CoB. In my understanding, acquiring citizenship of any other other country does not affect GC application or status. You could have acquired CoC of another country by virtue of marrying that countries citizens. Being a citizen of some country does not mean being a resident. However acquiring a Resident for another country may cause to affect your GC approval or status.
May not be true in all the cases.
*It is not the Q of the issue of CoC or CoB here and in my above reply as the issue touched was--When someone
1) doesn't maintain 'proper ties' with US after GC
and
2) obtains subsequently a PR or CZ of another country,
the guy faces problem of retaining GC when he returns from a 'long trip'
from abroad.
He is likely face serious problems at POE for admission back as PR .
See this case it is self explanatory."
http://laws.lp.findlaw.com/1st/032550.html.

'** contends that his actions in Canada do not indicate his intent to abandon his permanent resident status in the United States because he was only there to await the granting of his Canadian citizenship application and to obtain a passport. This argument is unpersuasive for several reasons. First, proof that Katebi was actively pursuing more favorable immigration status in Canada could be considered itself suggestive of ** ultimate intent to abandon his permanent resident status in the United States in favor of residency in Canada.'..........".
*Otherwise it may not be serious problem if strong ties are maintained and IO is not aware of it at the time POE.
However it is a redflag.
So-- in many cases it may be overlooked but in some cases certainly it is detrimental.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not legal advise.Lay man's opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: