Is the original I-140 approval notice a must for the interview?

greenland

Registered Users (C)
I'm going to accept the interview for my I-485 in early April. In the interview notice, they asked me to bring all the original documents for my petition. But I don't have the original I-140 approval notice in hand, what I have is a fax copy from my attorney and the courtesy copy I received from old INS.

Being lack of experience, I had very hard time with my attorney. I never met him but contact with him through e-mails. Before I put down the deposit, he was so friendly reply me e-mail very quickly. But then after I pay him, it was a nightmare. He did not reply my e-mail, I left hundreds of messages on his answer machine but never get his reply. The only way to catch him is use AOL isntant message, he might answer something but never kept his promise. He only moved a little bit when I threat to file a complain or report to the police. At last, I thought I was lucky because my I-140 got approved even though a few month late. However, the few months are very expensive, I think you guys understand what was the difference if you file your I-485 on August 2001 and November 2001.

Anyway, I finally filed I-485 by myself. I asked him several times for my original I-140 approval notice, but the same, no response from him. Recently I noticed that is his way to do business, some people have sued him. Right now I feel really lucky that my I-140 went through without big problems. Somebody's got RFEs, but the damn attorney didn't inform the applicants and finally INS revoke the case!!!

Back to my question, I will try hard but I'm sure if I can get the orginal I-140 approval notice from him. Is it OK for the interview if I only bring the courtesy copy? Experienced gurus, please help!

Greenland:

I feel bad for you. Can you give us the information about this attorney? We don't want our friends to deal with the jerks again in the future.

Thank you DingDang. Please read the bad stories and complains to this guy on the following web site (Attorney Registration & Disciplinary Commision of the Supreme Court of Illinois).

http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~ericcham/ARDC.htm

Can anybody answer my question? Do I HAVE to take the original I-140 approval for the interview? Is the courtesy copy sufficient?

Originally posted by greenland
Can anybody answer my question? Do I HAVE to take the original I-140 approval for the interview? Is the courtesy copy sufficient?

Keep in mind that 99% of all interviews are for family-based applicants where the petitioning relative must accompany the alien, and they will have the original I-130 approval notice.

Take the courtesy copy, since that's all you are entitled to. You're not a party to the I-140 petition.