Is Overseas Address Reqd on N-400 ?

JMD71

Hi Friends,

I was out of the country for 5 months after getting my GC. I am now eligible to apply for the US Citizenship. My only concern is that should I disclose my overseas address on N-400 during the time I was outside the united states however there was another address of correspondenece in the US and is in fact on file with INS when I left for my overseas trip OR should I mention both of my address i.e. overseas and US address(which is my friend's apartment) for the time period when I was outside the united states??

Kindly shed some light on it.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Best Regards,
JMD71

JMD71 said:
Hi Friends,

I was out of the country for 5 months after getting my GC. I am now eligible to apply for the US Citizenship. My only concern is that should I disclose my overseas address on N-400 during the time I was outside the united states however there was another address of correspondenece in the US and is in fact on file with INS when I left for my overseas trip OR should I mention both of my address i.e. overseas and US address(which is my friend's apartment) for the time period when I was outside the united states??

Kindly shed some light on it.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Best Regards,
JMD71

You need to list the addresses where you have lived during the past 5 years, not the addresses where your mail was sent. If you lived abroad then that's the address you need to mention.

Sam

What if a person is going on a temporay visit abroad for a month or so on a pleasure trip? Does a person need to file the foreign address in this case for that month?

coolguy446 said:
What if a person is going on a temporay visit abroad for a month or so on a pleasure trip? Does a person need to file the foreign address in this case for that month?
Temporary visits do not constitute change of residence and therefore need not be listed. The OP need not list the overseas address as it was only a temporary visit and he did not change his residence. In fact if he did change his residence (without reentry permit), he would have abandoned his GC.

mpotturi said:
Temporary visits do not constitute change of residence and therefore need not be listed. The OP need not list the overseas address as it was only a temporary visit and he did not change his residence. In fact if he did change his residence (without reentry permit), he would have abandoned his GC.

Whoa! Wait a minute.

It all depends on whether the OP 'stayed' or 'lived' abroad, and as I've noted earlier on this forum - that covers both intent and length of stay. Considering that he was abroad for 5 months unless it was a very long vacation he was living there and he needs to list it. 'Visits' are different from 'living' - the former does not need to be mentioned as you've written above, whereas the latter definitely does.

Let's say you take a college course in Europe for 1 semester typically 14 weeks. You will live there for the duration of the course and you don't need a reentry permit. A temporary change of residence does not constitute abandoning permanent residence in the United States.

As for coolguy446's question - a temporary visit by it's very definition is not a change of residence (i.e. does not constitute 'living' abroad) and does not need to be mentioned.

Sam

Hi there!

Here is what I did:

I got a reentry permit in Feb of 2000, left the U.S. came back for about a month or so later in 2000, did not come back to the U.S. at all in 2001.

I reentered the U.S. with my reentry permit in Jan. of 2002. I applied for naturalization 4 years and 1 day after my reentry in Jan. of 2002.

I had applied for my reentry permit to finish my Master's Degree in Germany. As I was gone more than one year, I listed my German address under "where have you lived in the past five years".

I do not expect any problems because of that come next Tuesday.

Cheers,

Legal