is oci really required ??

BrentM.Adams36

I live in UK. I have recently got british passport. Do i have to surrender my indian passport ? Can i travel to india on my indian passport.
One of my friends who has british passport still uses indian passport to travel to india and he never had any problems.
Why waste about £200 just to get an oci card while i can keep indian passport. How would the custom at indian airport will know that i have also british passport if i dont carry that with me .
Since even after getting oci you return to india and after 1 year can get the indian citizenship again and will have two passport , so why surrender it in the first place ?

Your friend is traveling on an Indian passport unlawfully. I don't know how he gets away with it, but he could get caught and be in trouble. I would highly advise you avoid it.

For example, immigration in India could ask where you came from or where you're going, and if you can't prove you have a visa, you'd have to explain how you have access to the UK without one.

When you get Indian citizenship again after getting OCI, you would be required to renounce your British citizenship.

I live in UK. I have recently got british passport. Do i have to surrender my indian passport ? Can i travel to india on my indian passport.
One of my friends who has british passport still uses indian passport to travel to india and he never had any problems.
Why waste about £200 just to get an oci card while i can keep indian passport. How would the custom at indian airport will know that i have also british passport if i dont carry that with me .
Since even after getting oci you return to india and after 1 year can get the indian citizenship again and will have two passport , so why surrender it in the first place ?
Do you have proof of this? It's next to impossible for the friend to do what you say he claims to be doing; or he could one day get caught and be in huge trouble.

Most countries, including India, have exit immigration, and they review how a foreign national got in. Holding a UK passport immediately invalidates the Indian one.