Is Naturalization jeopardized by moving after getting the GC?

snowi

Hello.

I got my Green Card last year (EB2), moved to another state soon after, and might have to relocate again to another state this year. Could my naturalization request 4 years from now be jeopardized by moving twice in one year? I'll be moving within the U.S. while maintaining the same employer.

Thanks a lot,
Steve

Hello.

I got my Green Card last year (EB2), moved to another state soon after, and might have to relocate again to another state this year. Could my naturalization request 4 years from now be jeopardized by moving twice in one year? I'll be moving within the U.S. while maintaining the same employer.

Thanks a lot,
Steve

You can move every week if you like.

Moving to a different state within 3 months before applying for naturalization may affect your eligibility because of the 3-month residence rule.

Moving during the naturalization process could cause a delay and possibly make you miss mail from USCIS because they may continue sending mail to your old address for some time.

Moving to live apart from your spouse could result in denial if you're applying for naturalization based on marriage to a US citizen.

Assuming you're not on parole or probation which restricts your movement, I can't think of any other scenario where moving within the United States would jeopardize your naturalization, as long as you file AR-11 for each move and keep a record of where you move so you can correctly list your residences for the past 5 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
After every move file your AR-11 promptly. Keep all records of date of move. Get state ID/ DL in new place. File your taxes . There should be no problem with any number of moves.