Is my DS2019 extendable?

madround

I'm a doctoral student (J1 visa, DS-2019 without HRR).

I was in J2 visa (with HRR) since my spouse was J1 visa. However, he's got waiver for his former J1, which was issued by another institution. I understand that my current DS-2019 is completely clear and no HRR.

My question is if my current DS-2019 of J1 visa extendable? In other words, if I want to postpone my graduation and stay in the school for one more year, do I have to change my status, from J1 to F1 or that DS-2019 can be extended?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a doctoral student (J1 visa, DS-2019 without HRR).

I was in J2 visa (with HRR) since my spouse was J1 visa. However, he's got waiver for his former J1, which was issued by another institution. I understand that my current DS-2019 is completely clear and no HRR.

My question is if my current DS-2019 of J1 visa extendable? In other words, if I want to postpone my graduation and stay in the school for one more year, do I have to change my status, from J1 to F1 or that DS-2019 can be extended?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

You can extend your J toward the maximum time allowed under that J. For example if the maximum time allowed is 5 years, then you can request extension for 1 year if you already spent 4 years on that J and so on.

Thank you, mmed, for the answer.

However, I'm still confused of what you said as "maximum time allowed". Let me clearify it again. My DS2019 is for my doctoral program will be expired after 5 and a half years. However, I would like to stay in the school from one to two semesters, this extension is approved by my sponsor.

I was wondering if I have to change the status of my visa from J to F, since I was in J2 issued by previous my spouse's instituion. In addition, to the best of my knowledge, J visa holder won't be able to extend or renew visa after he/she got waived. But if this rule will be apply in my situation?

Thank you,

Thank you, mmed, for the answer.

However, I'm still confused of what you said as "maximum time allowed". Let me clearify it again. My DS2019 is for my doctoral program will be expired after 5 and a half years. However, I would like to stay in the school from one to two semesters, this extension is approved by my sponsor.

I was wondering if I have to change the status of my visa from J to F, since I was in J2 issued by previous my spouse's instituion. In addition, to the best of my knowledge, J visa holder won't be able to extend or renew visa after he/she got waived. But if this rule will be apply in my situation?

Thank you,
You can switch from J to F but you still have to do the 2 year country or waiver after you finish the F to switch to any other status like H or GC.