Is my Canadian PR still valid?

suresh_colo

Registered Users (C)
Friends,

I work in the U.S. (on a H1B), my application for Canadian PR was approved in March/2000.

I then landed in January/2001, stayed a couple of days in Canada and came back to the U.S. to continue working here.

I haven't been to Canada since that date.

Is my Canadian PR still valid? Can I return to Canada now and establish myself? Am I still in good status?

Thanks !

Canadian PR

My friend here is working on H1.He also has a Canadian PR.He landed in Canada on Sept 2000 and came to USA after staying there for 2 days.now he wants to go back to canada.is his canadian PR still valid

To maintain your permanent residence status in Canada you should be living there not in US. You loose your PR status if you stay outside for more than 180 days. You need to reapply for PR.

Seeta,

If what you are saying is true, how do you explain the new Immigration Law posted on the Immigration Canada website which states:

"Under the new Act, permanent residents may be outside of Canada for three years in every five-year period. This allows permanent residents and accompanying family members to be absent from Canada for longer periods of time without the risk of losing their status."

I am also in the same situation. I landed in Nov. 2001 but have not been to Canada after that.

I guess there is lot of uncertainity regarding this. Some people say the law is retroactive and some say it isn't. This is all very confusing.

I guess we have to wait a little while until we know for sure.

suresh_colo

Thats true as per the new law abt maintaining Can PR but technically speaking a PR is invalid if you don't pay taxes every year and it might be difficult to enter Can, if they run ur SIN check at POE. This is rare case but possibilities are there.

:p

Seeta, your information is compleatly WRONG.

1.according to new law on 28 June, one can stay out of Canada for 3 years from the date of landing and it applies to existing and old PR cases. you need to reside in Canada to maintain your PR only 730 days out of 5 years.

2 INTENT to reside has been eliminated in new law only you have to provide a proof that you were in Canada for 2 years out of 5 years.
3 Nothing in new law about TAX, if one is not in Canada how do you expect him/her to pay the tax? Immigartion and Tax department are independent of each other.

Revanue Canada has nothing to do with your PR status and they can NOT revoke your PR even if they run your SIN, please do not post the wrong info.
before posting read the full C-11 that was passed and became law and implimented or became effective on June28,2002.

Read the compleate law and Residency requirement, do not confuse others if you are confused or do not know the current law.