is lawyer nesessary on interview AC-21 case ?

Vagif

Registered Users (C)
My interview is scheduled March 11
I have a question.
Should I bring lawyer with me or I can do it myself ?
My case is AC-21 case. I got laid-off after filing I-485, before 180 days.
Now I have another employer with higher salary and same job title.

My lawyer says that it will cost me $1000 or I can hire local (Santa Ana) lawyer to go with me, if i want it cheaper.

Any suggestions ?

take the lawyer with you. Not necessary but I won't take a chance.

think for a moment before replying the questions.

I think you should not take ANY lawyer. Either dont take one. Or if you are taking one, then take the lawyer who has handled your case.

Keep us posted on how did the interview go.

Good Luck.
CTM

You don't need attorney
1. If you changed the job after your I-485 pending for 180 days and if you have documents to substantite this.
2. If you can prove that current job function is same as prior one (labor certification copy and current employment letter to prove that ).
3. If you were not out of status even for 1 day and also documents to prove that.

Do you think that you need attorney if can prove all the 3 above mentioned points.

Just for mental satisfaction you can take attorney, if you want to spend some hard earned money .

Goodluck!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have yet to see an employment case that was denied during interview!!

You don't need a lawyer, if all your records are clean.

Just carry all your papers and make sure that job responsibilities mentioned are similar.

You are pretty close to being a LPR ( Legal perm resident ).

All the best!

I think my documents are clean, and I have job with the same responsibilities and same title as original.
The problem is that I got laid-off before 180 days passed.
So i'm afraid that inexperienced officer might decide that a denying reason.
Although with my RFE I sent AC-21 letter, prepared by my lawyer.
So probably if I take same letter with me, it can help me prove that law is on my side.
But i'm not sure.
If there's anybody with ac-21 case who changed employer before 180 days and got interview, please share your experience.
Did you go without lawyer ?

the rule is that 485 should be pending for 180 days. it does not matter when you changed your job. My lawyer says that. So dont worry about that. Tell them only what ever is asked. For example if they ask how long did u work for your original employer - tell them the total time you worked since you joined them and not the 485 period. When asked after how many days of filing GC did u change your job - tell them the time passed since you filed your LCA and not 485 only. Give INS a taste of their own medicine.
Dont worry relax.

I would definitely ADVISE you to take a lawyer.

1000 $ is NOTHING compared to how much time/effort you have put in so far. It is not that you really need a lawyer, but it has been my experience so far on this board that all people who took lawyers with them, had a very smooth time.

There are a number of questions that you could be asked that are not pertinant to the case, and your lawyer is the best person who can actually take a stand point out the law and tell the IIO to shut up.

Bette safe than sorry. Again 1,000 $ is absolutely nothing in the long run. Good luck and keep us posted!

Originally posted by 140_takes_4ever

1000 $ is NOTHING compared to how much time/effort you have put in so far. It is not that you really need a lawyer, but it has been my experience so far on this board that all people who took lawyers with them, had a very smooth time.

There are a number of questions that you could be asked that are not pertinant to the case, and your lawyer is the best person who can actually take a stand point out the law and tell the IIO to shut up.

Bette safe than sorry. Again 1,000 $ is absolutely nothing in the long run. Good luck and keep us posted!

agree with this point

Originally posted by 140_takes_4ever

I also agree with 140_takes_4ever. Even your case is 101% safe, you don't know what kind of interviewer will decide the fate of your case.

Originally posted by jzssi8
Vagif,

Do you hire a new lawyer after job changing since previous company lawyer may not continue working for you anymore? I changed the job but not hire a new lawyer. Will that cause any problem?

You don't have to switch attorneys when you switch companies, INS doesn't care. Infact to keep things simple, I feel it is better to continue with your old attorney unless there is some good reason to switch

jzssi8

u dont need to hire an attorney if u change jobs

i mean u r just gonna be waiting for a long time

u can do ur EAD and AP extensions on ur own

i didnt need attorney for RFE i just replied
with the required documents and got
approved rite away

But if ur case gets complicated then u might need one

I did not switch my lawyer after changing employer. And yes, my lawyer was hired by company for me. And they are working with companies, not individuals. But my lawyer still works on my case even if I do not work anymore for sponsoring company.