Hi,

I see the good Mr Khanna offers the service of filing your N400
for you. Is it worth engaging the services of an attorney for this
proceedure? Looking at the form, it seems quite simple, but I may
be missing something.

Also, after the interview, are you in the clear with regard to passing
INS barriers. I presume the oath ceremony is just a formality and there
will be no passport, drivers licence, residency checks etc when you
come to take the oath, or am I mistaken?
Do you have to maintain the six month continual residency rule
(i.e. can't be outside of the country for more than six months) after
passing the interview?

Thanks

Obongo

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you got some legal problems in the past (convictions, etc) that make your case less than straight forward, there is no need to hire a lawyer. There is only one barrier to pass in the whole process - the name check. I don't count the interview itself as a barrier 'cause unless you can't speak English at all and don't have any ability to remember a few answers to a few questions for the test, it's almost impossible to fail the test. (Assuming of course you know how to behave in public and aren't gonna insult the USCIS officer or something like that) If you went through the interview and at the end they didn't tell you that your name check is pending, you are good to go.

A six month residency rule? Must be something I've never heard about...

RealsuperK,

I disagree with you. In our case there was no name check problem. The probem was A-file missing. But even in May when we were told everything was cleared and told to wait to be sworn in in a few weeks an dthat an oath letter would be sent to us in 2 weeks, we've heard nothing so far though 6 weeks has elapsed.

For this shameless bloody wicked USCIS organization, one just can't make a conclusion on what would happen.

pmg said:
RealsuperK,

I disagree with you. In our case there was no name check problem. The probem was A-file missing. But even in May when we were told everything was cleared and told to wait to be sworn in in a few weeks an dthat an oath letter would be sent to us in 2 weeks, we've heard nothing so far though 6 weeks has elapsed.

For this shameless bloody wicked USCIS organization, one just can't make a conclusion on what would happen.

Good point, I forgot about two A-files and missing A-files and all that stuff. But a lawyer would probably not help out too much with that.

Same comments as before re: self filing... not unless you have a complicated case with citations for DUI or felonies etc.

As far as I can tell, you need to maintain your residency the same between interview & oath as you did prior to filing & interview. When you arrive for the oath ceremony, you will be asked about any new travel outside of US, new citations, convictions etc.

Don't assume anything is a formality until you have the naturalization certificate in your hands.