is it Safe to travel on AP when I485 approval Received

nagrawa

Registered Users (C)
I saw this question in this forum but ther was no answer to it, CAn someone please help

485 approved on OCT7th as per online status; travel plans on NOv 24th. Approval notice received Nov 14th This case is in Charlotte INS office and the earliest appt I can get is on Nov 29th
Is it safe to travel out with a valid AP, come back on Dec 20th and get stamped? Should we expect any problems at POE in this case? Trying to avoid massive cancellation charges on air ticket. As this concerns me and my wife

hey nagrawa,
i'm in the exact same situation u r in. My case was approved yesterday and I'm planning on travelling on Dec 10.
I called the USCIS hotline and they said I could use my AP to re-enter the US.
what did u decide to do? any updates?
Thnaks.

nagrawa said:
Trying to avoid massive cancellation charges on air ticket.

Personally, I would rather deal with the cancellation charges, then the risk of being deported due to your AOS being considered abandoned at the POE. If I were you, I'd postpone the trip, and get the passport stamp.

It's good idea to get it stamped before departure - because it gives you peace in mind (and also help you to stand on short and quick citizen/LPR line). But that's pretty much. If you cannot get stamped and have valid AP, I don't see any issue at POE. Officer will allow you on the ground that you eligible for re-entry.

Keep a copy of INFOPASS apointment with you. In case POE officer asks why you did not get stamped, you can show that you could not get date before departure.

Last edited by a moderator:
How far are you guys getting appointments for?

Just wondering if I need to worry about this too. How many days out are you getting the appointments in CSC. Is the option to walk-in early in the morning still available for emergencies or not?

Guys I did a lot of research and spoke with lawyer + a very friendly customer rep at USCIS I will post the details in a day or two but bottom line is it is illegal to travel after your I-485 is approved and your passport is ot stamped, and just like any other illegal thing, its alright till you get caught.
I even went to Charlotte which is a 3 hour drive and they did not even let us inside the door. They dont entertain till its a life and death situation