• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Is it risky to go USA a week before visa expire ?

mun47

Registered Users (C)
Hi I am planning to go a week before my visa expire. Would it be any problem ? Also, I want to change my address which I mentioned on DS-230, will it be possible at the point of entry ? Please advice.

Hi I am planning to go a week before my visa expire. Would it be any problem ?

I can't imagine that it will be a problem for the Immigration since your visa is still valid. But it is up to you to decide whether you feel comfortable with it. You will not have much space to manoeuvre in case you cannot travel on the day you intended.

U should be fine...u can even get your @$$ on US soil by 11:59PM on the day of visa expiry and You will be fine.

Guess what you can then book a flight to go out of US @ 12:01 and your green card stamp will be good for another 12 months outside of US...Ha! Ha! Ha!

No problem here whatsoever. It will start to become a problem on the 91st day after your visa has been issued and not one sooner. I wouldn't push my travel date to a week before expiration though. A common ear infection will effectively keep you out of any plane for a good week or two. That is, if you value your eardrums and would like to start your new life in the US with full hearing abilities. Worked in aviation for years so I've dealt with plenty of passengers who got refused on flights for silly reasons and with situations that seriously and instantly disrupted global air traffic for weeks straight. I would advise three weeks, two as an absolute minimum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for your suggestion. You really put me re-thing E59th, but I dont have any problem of my ear at all. So, I believe with god's wishes, I will be fine, because I booked my flight already.

Yeah, you'll probably be fine. It's just that aviation can be pretty weird sometimes, especially nowadays.

What about change of address, can I do at the port of entry ? The address was North Carolina, but I am landing Washington, Dallas.

Yeah I don't think they do administrative changes at the POE. They just process the information they've been given by you through the Embassy (i.e. the big envelope you're not supposed to open).

Again, I see no problem. It doesn't matter where you land, you will just have to make sure them NC peeps Fedex you the GC as soon as they receive it.